Discussion topic: Roaming incorrect country

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Roaming incorrect country

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Curtis22 this can happen to any network when roaming.  You do not need to be physically in a country to connect to a cellular service within it.

If you do connect to a mast outside of the country then expect to be charged - obviously goodwill can apply but it's not a right as the charges have been incurred.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Rob881 This message was authored by: Rob881

@gillhoose1888 100% agreed. A warning on the website is not sufficient. It's beyond unreasonable. I've just got back from Corfu. I fell ill whilst there and didnt look at my phone much however according to Sky, the £240 in charges from connecting to an Albanian mast are my fault. I've had the complaint escalated and it will undoubtedly end up with the ombudsman. Please let me know how you got on. 

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Rob881 wrote:

@gillhoose1888 100% agreed. A warning on the website is not sufficient. It's beyond unreasonable. I've just got back from Corfu. I fell ill whilst there and didnt look at my phone much however according to Sky, the £240 in charges from connecting to an Albanian mast are my fault. I've had the complaint escalated and it will undoubtedly end up with the ombudsman. Please let me know how you got on. 

Sky cannot be responsible for the settings on your device.  They also allow you to set a spendcap to ensure you do not spend more than expected.

Refunds will generally be on a goodwill basis.

I'm not sure an ombudsman (it's just dispute resolution service) will rule for you - but do report back.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by gillhoose1888 This message was authored by: gillhoose1888

Hi Rob. It was the same with me. Sky said that it was MY problem that my daughters phone connected to an Albanian mast. What a load of rubbish.  How are we supposed to know what is what. We rely on our providers to make sure it's sorted for us. I was refunded but only after I escalated it to the highest possible person at sky. I was paid back as a gesture of goodwill!!!!! Can you believe that. This is a sky issue and has been going on for years as far as I'm aware. Just to let you know I cancelled all my full sky package after this. I hope you get refunded but yours seems a lot higher than mine but do t give up. It's their problem and they don't seem to care. Blaming us for their error it's shocking. I hope you are well.  Good luck. 

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

This isn't just a sky mobile issue, it affects other networks too. There isn't a setting I am aware of that sky can activate to stop it. There is something we as customers can do though. If we are travelling to an area that sky (or any network) have warned that this could happen the we should turn off automatic network selection in our phone settings then do a manual search and select the local network for, in this situation, Corfu. Then your phone won't accidentally connect to the Albanian network. 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.

@gillhoose1888 many thanks for replying and letting me know. I will have to wait and see. 

This message was authored by gillhoose1888 This message was authored by: gillhoose1888

Is that right? I was not aware of the issue until I was billed. I am no longer a sky customer so I couldn't care less. They are willing to allow this to happen. It's being going on for years still people are getting caught.  It's a sky issue. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

The Sky website advice here

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-mobile-roaming-destinations-and-charges

includes the following:

To help avoid this:

• Always check the name of the network provider on your phone before using it. If you’ve connected to a network from a different country for the first time, you'll get a Welcome text.  

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Good luck buddy. Dont let them fob you off. That's what they will do. Try and blame you. 

I'm replying to a message from another sky victim.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@gillhoose1888 wrote:

I'm replying to a message from another sky victim.

@gillhoose1888 

If you tag the person you're replying to by using the @ it makes the thread much easier to follow. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

@gillhoose1888 @63johnw it is mostly a Sky issue. All other major networks have put suitable measures in place to prevent it. It isnt about Sky being able to control our phones settings, it goes far beyond that. Its the fact that a billion pound organisation should have better preventative measure in place, and (especially in a cost of living crisis when people are struggling) readily remove these charges as a gesture of goodwill, until such a time that they also manage to put better measures in place. Especially considering their code of conduct speaks at length about care for their customers, being compassionate, fairness, integrity, and 'always doing the right thing' 

I didnt come to this discussion because a ridiculous computer system  added a fortune in charges to my bill. I ended up in this discussion because of the despicable way in which Sky decided to deal with it.   And whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, people joining this chat and jumping to the defence of these billion pound companies, is really not helpful.( @PandJ2020 )   Its entirely up to Sky if it goes to the Ombudsman.  If it does, it wont be a dispute over their systems, processes, procedures or policies regarding Albanian phone masts. It will be a dispute over the way they chose to deal with one of their supposedly valued customers. 

I'm 100% with you Rob. Good luck

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Rob881 wrote:

(especially in a cost of living crisis when people are struggling) 

In Corfu?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion