Discussion topic: Roaming incorrect country

This message was authored by d1bdab This message was authored by: d1bdab

Roaming incorrect country

I am the bill payer for my and my son's sky mobiles.  My son was in Corfu, Greech on 11th-18th July 2022. He activated roaming at £2 for 24 hours.  I have been charged£40 on 13th July 2022 for roaming in Albania. He has never been to or been in Albania.  Trying to contact someone at Sky to get this charge removed, but it is extremely difficult to get hold of someone on the phone.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

Re: Roaming incorrect country

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@d1bdab 
Just dial 150 from your Sky mobile. Stay on the line and don’t hang up if you’re prompted to. I thought Corfu and Albania were fairly close (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Could he have been finding an Albanian network? 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

@d1bdab 
Just dial 150 from your Sky mobile. Stay on the line and don’t hang up if you’re prompted to. I thought Corfu and Albania were fairly close (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Could he have been finding an Albanian network? 

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

Hi @Daniel0210  yes this has happened before as you state, they are close together and mobiles sometimes connect to the Albanian network and roam there. 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@d1bdab 

In view of that I doubt very much you will receive any amount of refund I'm afraid. 

Sky customer since 2001
d1bdab
Topic Author
This message was authored by d1bdab This message was authored by: d1bdab

Thank you. Did as you advised, calling 150 and I have received a refund. Thanks for your help.

This message was authored by clairelou6789 This message was authored by: clairelou6789

How did you get your refund? i currently have the same issue and they are refusing to help

This message was authored by gillhoose1888 This message was authored by: gillhoose1888

I am having the very same issue today. My daughter is in Cordu and she signed up for £2 roaming. Sky have charged her £18 for 1 day stating it was in Albania. Albania is a 2 hour ferry away how can it even be confused. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@gillhoose1888 

Her phone will have picked up an Albanian network. This is a common problem and there's nothing Sky can do about it. 

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@gillhoose1888 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-mobile-roaming-destinations-and-charges

One to watch out for: Sometimes mobile phone signals are picked up across country borders.

If your phone picks up the signal of a different provider when you’re near a border or cruise port, then you might be charged different roaming rates.

Common holiday destinations where this can happen are where an EU country borders a non-EU country, resulting in additional roaming charges.

Corfu (Greece) Albania
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by gillhoose1888 This message was authored by: gillhoose1888

Why is there nothing sky can do about it? She's not in Albania she's in Corfu. She doesn't choose what network she gets that's sky. If they know this happens then they should do something about this. So I'm not having that they can't do anything. Also the customer service adviser I've been on to has stated he has spoken to his manager who has refused to refund us the outstanding amount. He then stated that he will transfer me to his manager who would discuss the situation with me. However he didn't transfer me to his manager he transferred me to Sky tv team in Leeds. I spoke to Shaz from that team who said he was going to transfer me back to the mobile team. However he didn't transfer me to anyone either . He just hung up on me. @Sky are a disgrace and I will be making a formal complaint about this and ending my contract. I've now got my daughter in a foreign country with no way of contacting anyone.

@gillhoose1888 

See the very bottom section of this link

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-mobile-roaming-destinations-and-charges

where Sky warn customers of such charges. 

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

@gillhoose1888 wrote:

Why is there nothing sky can do about it? She's not in Albania she's in Corfu. She doesn't choose what network she gets that's sky. If they know this happens then they should do something about this. So I'm not having that they can't do anything. Also the customer service adviser I've been on to has stated he has spoken to his manager who has refused to refund us the outstanding amount. He then stated that he will transfer me to his manager who would discuss the situation with me. However he didn't transfer me to his manager he transferred me to Sky tv team in Leeds. I spoke to Shaz from that team who said he was going to transfer me back to the mobile team. However he didn't transfer me to anyone either . He just hung up on me. @Sky are a disgrace and I will be making a formal complaint about this and ending my contract. I've now got my daughter in a foreign country with no way of contacting anyone.

Hi @gillhoose1888  she should turn off automatic network selection in her phone settings and then manually search and connect to the local Corfu network. 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.
This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@gillhoose1888 It doesnt matter if your "not having that they can't do anything" the bottom line is there is zero Sky or any other provider can do to prevent a phone connecting to the strongest mast, even if that happens to be in a neighbouring county to where the phone actually is.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@gillhoose1888 wrote:

Why is there nothing sky can do about it? She's not in Albania she's in Corfu.

As stated on the link I posted for you accidental roaming can happen when you are abroad which is why Sky does warn about it so while you are free to complain they will probably point out that it is covered on their website and therefore it would have been up to her to make sure she was connected to a network in Corfu possibly by using the manual search then connecting to the correct network.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Curtis22 This message was authored by: Curtis22

Just had this exact same issue

after 3 months of 'discussions' with sky mobile, they instructed debt collectors to obtain the £40 I apparently owed them. 
I had informed them that I was never in Albania and they could genuinely see that I wasn't! 
anyway, rang today and had all charges removed along with a £2 refund for them overcharging me. 
I think it all depends on who you speak to. All I can say is that I'm so glad I'm no longer with sky! Joining ee has been excellent. I actually get signal now! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion