Discussion topic: SkyGo Crashing on Start-up - Windows 11

This message was authored by We This message was authored by: We

Re: SkyGo Crashing on Start-up - Windows 11

Following on from my post, the sky engineer came out, a very nice guy called Tony. As expected, this wasn't an area the engineers are knowledgeable on. He was very helpful, there was nothing in their systems about this error and I showed them this thread and others. He contacted various departments and we tried many things with no success. He has promised us follow up calls but 3 days later we are yet to get a call. I've also had no contact from the community team. 

This message was authored by nnugent06 This message was authored by: nnugent06

Hi There, I am also getting this code error. Zero help from sky on the phone who have said its a laptop issue.

This message was authored by andy1428 This message was authored by: andy1428

I'm having the same issue these last several months after it previously working fine. It's definitely a software issue and I don't think any workaround is going to help until they patch the app accordingly. I find it frustrating as I am only watching sky on the app as via the internet due to having moved to a property where sky cannot be installed. I'm only part-way through the contract, so I'm effectively paying for sky without being able to use it except on my smartphone.

This message was authored by Kris2018 This message was authored by: Kris2018

ok for everyone who doesnt have very good knowledge with windows and errors with programs.

the first thing is to delete the program

and then delete the leftover files and folder C:\Users\pcname\AppData\Roaming and regedit

a program called ccleaner will do this when installed go too tools then registry then scan for issues and fix keep doing this maybe 2 or 3 times until theres no more issues then re download a new sky go app from sky website install and login worked for me and ccleaner is also safe i have used it for many years on and off

This message was authored by Andy.C.Clark This message was authored by: Andy.C.Clark

After having Sky Go working OK for a few months, it now crashes with PFE 4002.  I see there is no solution in this forum.  I tried the complete uninstall and also running it via the Windows 11 Task Manager which has worked before for me.  I fail to understand how Sky could produce such an unreliable bit of software - this is maybe the third or fourth time Sky Go has failed.  I usually give up on it, as there's never any decent solutions on here.  Eventually I try again and it works - it really is a poor piece of software.  My setup is Windows 11 with a decent broadband speed.

This message was authored by RichardA68 This message was authored by: RichardA68

Win 11 and good broadband. I have had sound and subtitles but no picture. 

This message was authored by Clev62 This message was authored by: Clev62

Almost the same for me other than app starts, displays an empty white window, waits a few seconds and then crashes out.
I've made a separate post for this detailing everything I've tried from reading dozens of similar posts but nothing is working.

I've also filled in the form that a Sky Op posted but had no response to that either.

Terrible service.

This message was authored by Andy.C.Clark This message was authored by: Andy.C.Clark

There's obviously no genuine response to problems with Sky Go - I guess Sky has no contract to have it maintained, so if it breaks that's it.  It's been broken on my Windows 11 laptop for a couple of months now., with the same PFE4002 error code.  When you consider the ever increasing cost of Sky Q, to have Sky Go working is something we're paying for, but not receiving.

This message was authored by RichardA68 This message was authored by: RichardA68

Tha lack of comments from Sky makes me feel they do not give a stuff!

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I'd suggest trying to re-download the Sky Go desktop app and see if it is now fixed: https://www.sky.com/pages/sky-go/download-the-app

Seemingly Sky aren't great at publishing when new versions are released ( and perhaps issues are fixed). For those having issues with the apps not opening, downloading the latest version would be the only way to fix it once a new version is available.

If it doesn't help may be worth trying it on a weekly basis, just in case a new version is available with a fix.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

I have downloaded and installed the latest version yesterday (2/8/24) with the same result.

This message was authored by Stockers75 This message was authored by: Stockers75

It's been a while but what I found worked for me was installing the software & starting it but not as administrator.

I'll try it again today & see if it's working still.

This message was authored by Stockers75 This message was authored by: Stockers75

I've tried Sky Go & it's working fine for me.

To which the answer might be - so what?  It doesn't work for me with a bog standard Windows 11 system, and there are several threads on here about problems with it.  It worked for me in the past,  then it didn't, then it did, and now it doesn't. 

This message was authored by Clev62 This message was authored by: Clev62

Well I continue to try all the various suggestions and still nothing works except one - I created a virtual machine with a fresh Win 11 install and installed Sky Go in there and it works. 

The only conclusion I can draw from that is that there must be something in either Windows or another app that is conflicting with Sky Go starting up.

It would be helpful if someone from Sky tech could actually reply at some stage and explain what processes their app goes through on startup, then maybe we could get a definitive solution to these issues.

Oh look is that a pig flying past my window?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion