Discussion topic: Sky Go app keeps changing aspect ratio on devices

This message was authored by S-DCF This message was authored by: S-DCF

Re: Sky Go app keeps changing aspect ratio on devices

The SkyGo app on the whole is pretty useless tbh. Bad video quality, even with downloads. Constantly changing aspect ratio. You'd think with all the other streaming apps/platforms available they at least try to keep up. Can't be that hard surely!

This message was authored by Mrc99999 This message was authored by: Mrc99999

This would be fine if the awful app didn't then make you watch minutes of ads before you can carry on.  Thinking of leaving Sky as these issues are ridiculous.

This message was authored by Smithmj2003 This message was authored by: Smithmj2003

How can it take over a year to fix this issue surely it can't be that complicated and who signed off the app from QA??? If it does not work then remove the option until it is 

This message was authored by Smithmj2003 This message was authored by: Smithmj2003

I also notice the ads never have an issue ...

This message was authored by Esmg This message was authored by: Esmg

So, it's been an issue since at least April 2022, it's marked as answered because it's being looked into. But it's not fixed. That's either an awful lot of looking into it over all those months OR not much is happening at all.

I'm also a bit confused by the suggested fix  "In the meantime you could try turning off the option "connect to Q box" and find the content on the Sky Go app to watch. "

My problem is that when using Sky Go the whole of the screen doesn't show, the edge is cut off and not visible. The above fix doesn't do anything for that. 

Is there a mix of faults here? Are both points being investigated if separate? 

I also noticed that the issue mainly occurs when the content is showing tight shots on individuals but when the is either multiple people or the individual is moving it does not happen. I wonder if there is a dynamic screen auto adjust going on causing the problem

This message was authored by Amy+n This message was authored by: Amy+n

Im having this same issue on my pjone when watching through the sky go app. It flickers between really narrow and cant see the full image, to normal. Its really frustrating. And the fix of disconnecting from my box isnt a fix because i cant watch what im watching through the go app without connecting to my box. 

This message was authored by danestewart This message was authored by: danestewart

Its weird, i only find this happens with Movies. It does annoy me though as i pay for this added extra. And i agree about the ads. Its one thing on tv when we already pay a ptremium, but the additional adverts... on an app, that you pay a subscription to use... then you cant even view the content.... well sky, its a bit of as joke!

Was like that when I got here...
This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Everyone

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for the delay in being able to fix the problem.

We now know what's causing the problem and a fix will be applied to a future update to everyone's box. When we have more information, we'll let you know 👍

In the meantime, you could try turning off the option "connect to Q box" and find the content on the Sky Go app to watch. 

I'm marking this post as answered so everyone has the most up to date information.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by Germs This message was authored by: Germs

Hi Kirsty

any update on this? Now end of Feb and still nothing has changed?

thanks 

This message was authored by Paul224 This message was authored by: Paul224

We still have the problem. The aspect ratio changes on my Samsung Tab. Unwatchable. How far back does this thread go and still not sorted, shocking. Sky go is the problem for me.

This message was authored by Charles+nick This message was authored by: Charles+nick

"Kev"

with all due respect, your reply in 2024 is the exact copy/message/reply that you? "Kev" posted on this forum in 2022/2023

tbr problem is not fixed 

I've just watched or rather, tried to watch on sky go app on iPad, The Cleaning Lady, recorded / series linked recording 

as one poster wrote, each time the camera filming angle changes, mostly on close ups the screen ratio changes where 2 thirds of the screen is black - top and bottom 

Sky, fix your app. It's been 2 years !!!

This message was authored by Statto83 This message was authored by: Statto83

Wow, it is absolutly shocking that this is still an issue! its been well over a year that this issue was raised and it still hasnt been addressed.

The amount of money we pay for sky, and the constant price increases, remind me why I am still a Sky customer?

This message was authored by FarrellC This message was authored by: FarrellC

If the program is downloaded it stops the ratio changing 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion