Discussion topic: Sky Go app keeps changing aspect ratio on devices

This message was authored by Rob8 This message was authored by: Rob8

Sky Go app keeps changing aspect ratio on devices

While watching programmes on sky go on my laptop the app keeps changhing the apsect ratio to widescreen cutting off chunks of the programme.  By this I dont mean it's stretching it, its literally cutting off parts of the image.  How can I prevent this from happening.

Moderator comments: edited title 

Best Answers
This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia Answer

Re: Sky Go app keeps changing aspect ratio on devices

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Everyone

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for the delay in being able to fix the problem.

We now know what's causing the problem and a fix will be applied to a future update to everyone's box. When we have more information, we'll let you know 👍

In the meantime, you could try turning off the option "connect to Q box" and find the content on the Sky Go app to watch. 

I'm marking this post as answered so everyone has the most up to date information.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by DJHJHFHKFJKGJK This message was authored by: DJHJHFHKFJKGJK

Re: Sky Go app keeps changing aspect ratio on laptop

Just responding to say I have the same issue. It may be a bug with the app? There doesn't appear to be a setting to change the aspect ratio

This message was authored by Mark241177 This message was authored by: Mark241177

Same on my ipad app!

This message was authored by MissVee This message was authored by: MissVee

Screen ratio keeps changing on Sky Go app on Ipad

Just watching on the Ipad and picture keeps changing from full screen to just the middle third of the screen! Only happens for a few seconds at a time, but it's really annoying.  Anyone else had this issue and know how to correct it please?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Screen ratio keeps changing on Sky Go app on Ipad

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Pretty much all you can do @MissVee is to delete the app, reboot your iPad then install the app again to see if that fixes it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Arnak This message was authored by: Arnak

Hi,

Same here on a top rated PC.8-((

Martin

This message was authored by Mykbhoy This message was authored by: Mykbhoy

I've just witnessed this too on my iPhone. Randomly happening but usually just after it cuts to another camera or cut! Seems like the bug is throughout all Sky Go's versions 

This message was authored by Marc+Bradbury This message was authored by: Marc+Bradbury

I'm getting this on my MacBook Pro too. It tends to happen during a change of view or angle and sometimes corrects itself but I would say that it happens two or three times a minute now which is very annoying!

This message was authored by PPPPPPPPPP This message was authored by: PPPPPPPPPP

My ipad has been doing this for about a month now only on sky go app.  Have removed app reset ipad then reinstalled app several times and no difference still the same problem.  Must be a sky app problem

This message was authored by Sigh-Man This message was authored by: Sigh-Man

Yep same to for me but it seems to be limited to just 1 show (SurrealEstate).  It plays ok through the Sky Q box but every episode has this problem when watching through Sky Go on 2021 iPad Pro (OS & App fully updated - also tried a reset, no improvement)

This message was authored by Sigh-Man This message was authored by: Sigh-Man

OK - I've done some testing...

If I try to watched SurrealEstate when it's downloaded to the Sky Q box through either main box or mini box then no problems

If I try to watched SurrealEstate when it's downloaded to the Sky Q box through the Sky Go app then I experience continuous snapping between normal viewing and the artificial letterbox mode

BUT

If I download an episode directly to the Sky Go app on the iPad it plays without problem

So in summary there IS a problem with Sky Go that presents itself in certain shows (bugs on Sky, who'd have thought!) but there is a workaround 

This message was authored by Tom+Laranjo This message was authored by: Tom+Laranjo

Hi @MissVee - we just had the same problem. The advice to delete the recordings from the Sky Q box and then re download directly to the iPad worked. The issue is streaming from the Sky Q box to the iPad.

This message was authored by Sloyne This message was authored by: Sloyne

I'm having the same problem on two different android devices (both Samsung) but also on Surreal estate. 

This message was authored by SameIssue This message was authored by: SameIssue

Wow this issue has been going on a while. I still have it. Makes programmes unwatchable. 

Do sky read these??

This message was authored by Lapsa This message was authored by: Lapsa

Can confirm that downloading to the iPad worked, streaming from box to the iPad was what was making it behave like that. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion