Discussion topic: Sky Go Download Update hangs. No go Sky Go.

This message was authored by Slcmpc This message was authored by: Slcmpc

Sky Go Download Update hangs. No go Sky Go.

I am very angry especially when you consider how much I pay each month.

Last night I tried to launch Sky Go on my Windows lap top. It worked 4 weeks ago but yesterday it looked for updates and got stuck in downloading update all day.

No way could I get Sky Go to work because it insists on update before you use it. I am convinced their server was not operating.

On a related matter, I note that Sky box loses internet connection, often for 24 hours and then comes back without resetting anything. It is as if the Internet server is down because everything on the wireless network works faultlessly.

By the way I have uninstalled app as per detailed instructions herein and that did not work. Installing file ran but the confounded download hung.

Anyone else had these infuriating problems? What is the cue?

Best Answers
Slcmpc
Topic Author
This message was authored by Slcmpc This message was authored by: Slcmpc Answer

Re: Sky Go Download Update hangs. No go Sky Go.

Solution.

I uninstalled SkyGo using Revo Uninstall but it did not work. So I ran it to remove the main entries but it did not remove ALL the registry entries. I had to manually remove every entry using the registry editor.

A PC reboot, reinstall, a few shenanigans reregistering and low and behold, it works as before.

I assume that the first time the update ran after 1 month, it corrupted registry entries (I saw a brief message to that effect), and normal reinstalling using basic uninstaller made things worse.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

Slcmpc
Topic Author

90 minutes and no help. Sky are a disgrace. I am furious. What do you do with the so and sos?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Slcmpc 

This is a customer helps customer forum so you will not get any response from Sky as that isn't how things work here.

If you can't install the download then it must be an issue with your PC so have you tried closing any other apps or programs you might have open ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by caffro This message was authored by: caffro

Same problem here.

So now no SkyGo.

Whatsoever.

Slcmpc
Topic Author

It was working 4 weeks ago. Nothing has been done to change the environment apart from a windows update.

I will phone tomorrow when they will dial in but that will be on a different network when the blighter will probably work.

I have uninstalled, removed registry entries, redownloaded the app and undone the Windows update.

We did install Zoom Meetings but that too has been removed.

Bizarre but very frustrating.

Slcmpc
Topic Author
This message was authored by Slcmpc This message was authored by: Slcmpc Answer

Solution.

I uninstalled SkyGo using Revo Uninstall but it did not work. So I ran it to remove the main entries but it did not remove ALL the registry entries. I had to manually remove every entry using the registry editor.

A PC reboot, reinstall, a few shenanigans reregistering and low and behold, it works as before.

I assume that the first time the update ran after 1 month, it corrupted registry entries (I saw a brief message to that effect), and normal reinstalling using basic uninstaller made things worse.

Which reg entries do you need to remove?

Slcmpc
Topic Author

I cannot remember! Everything that referenced "SkyGo". By this time I was pulling my hair out, but everything was removed that wasn't by the uninstaller.

Cleared the reg (I think).

Rebooted.

Reinstalled.

Didn't work.

Slcmpc
Topic Author

Unfortunate that it didn't work for you. I can only report what I did.

Another suggestion is to try another network connection but I cannot vouch for that.

We are back at the boat tomorrow and I'll see if we get any further problems. It was there that the problem started with corrupted registry entries. According to the app....

Slcmpc
Topic Author

Worked on the boat OK last night all evening. Network connection was slow and there was some buffering but it behaved itself. No confidence given previous problems but it did its job OK.

Cleared out the registry, then went to my local library and there it seemed happy to install.

Also fixed the long standing problem I've been having downloading programmes.

So just installing it on a different network seemed to be the answer.

What a pile of **bleep**e.

This message was authored by SusanAH This message was authored by: SusanAH

Same problem here, locked downloading update. Looking at the sheer number of posts on exactly the same issue I'm amazed that there is no definative response from Sky. It's clearly a problem that they should address in simple terms so any user can understand. I don't beleive that suddenly all those users are having PC issues.

Is there a simple solution?

Slcmpc
Topic Author

I suspect no easy solution. In my case the problem started following a failed download. The likely effect was to corrupt registry entries as I had to manually remove all references to SkyGo and couldn't rely on register cleaners to do it.

Not clever.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion