Discussion topic: Issue with SkyGo installing

This message was authored by MTC1 This message was authored by: MTC1

Issue with SkyGo installing

Hi, I have read the various discussions on Sky Go not opening, especially after MacOS updates. I had the same issue myself on an older macbook last month,

I have a different question, which somebody may hopefully have an answer for. I'm trying to install the Go app from the Sky website on a new M3 macbook. After I run the installer, it  shows a progress bar with "Downloading Sky Go" but then it just disappears as if it was never opened when it is nearly complete (after around 10 seconds). No Sky Go app appears in the Applications section of finder. Is this a new bug or is there a permission to allow on the new mac (apps from "identified developers" are allowed).

Thanks!

Best Answers
MTC1
Topic Author
This message was authored by MTC1 This message was authored by: MTC1 Answer

Re: Issue with SkyGo installing

nvm - it was simply the case that rosetta wasn't properly installed (I thought it was as another app that I thought used it was working). I guess the Sky Go app doesn't trigger a popup to install Rosetta.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

MTC1
Topic Author
This message was authored by MTC1 This message was authored by: MTC1 Answer

nvm - it was simply the case that rosetta wasn't properly installed (I thought it was as another app that I thought used it was working). I guess the Sky Go app doesn't trigger a popup to install Rosetta.

This message was authored by C.SHIPLEY This message was authored by: C.SHIPLEY

How do I install rosseta

This message was authored by Derek+G+M This message was authored by: Derek+G+M

As per the various August comments I can't open/reinstall update/get SKY GO to install on my MAC (running High Sierra). I uninstalled the installer and reinstalled. Nothing works.

It crashes or 'disappears' and i report the problem to Apple.

BTW I have no idea what a RESERRA is or why that solves the problem?

This message was authored by Derek+G+M This message was authored by: Derek+G+M

ROSETTA 

that was supposed to read

what is it? and why is it relevant?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Derek+G+M 

Rosetta is a dynamic binary translator developed by Apple Inc. for macOS, an application compatibility layer between different instruction set architectures. It enables a transition to newer hardware, by automatically translating software. The name is a reference to the Rosetta Stone, the artifact which enabled translation of Egyptian hieroglyphs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software) 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Gangster1 This message was authored by: Gangster1

Unfortunately SkyGoInstaller was developed for Mac Intel, so if you have a newer Mac silicon (like M3) you will need Rosetta (a macos component that is not installed by default). Open terminal and type: "softwareupdate --install-rosetta" and then SkyGoInstaller will work. Have a nice day

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion