Discussion topic: Would like to request new apps to be added to the Sky Glass and Q catalouge

This message was authored by BroccoliTS This message was authored by: BroccoliTS

Would like to request new apps to be added to the Sky Glass and Q catalouge

Been using Sky glass for almost a year now, love the product and service, but would like a few more apps added to the library. Crunchyroll and Twitch, this would make the product more appealing to more people my age as well. Currently I have to turn on my playstation or PC to access these apps, and these are common place apps on a lot of entertainment systems. 

Thanks 

Tom

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Would like to request new apps to be added to the Sky Glass and Q catalouge

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BroccoliTS 

One issue is that because Sky has to provide expensive telephone-based support to its subscribers (unlike a typical television manufacturer, for example), they expect app owners to contribute towards the cost of this through a formal commercial agreement.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
BroccoliTS
Topic Author
This message was authored by BroccoliTS This message was authored by: BroccoliTS

Which we all pay for, im simply requesting Sky to have talks to have the apps added to the list of afliated apps. Just like Youtube or Prime.

This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

Viaplay is certainly the one App/Channels i would want Sky to look into adding for Glass.

This message was authored by Lisapcunn This message was authored by: Lisapcunn

Heavily agreed. Love my sky stream puck but it would be so much better if there was an app for Crunchyroll on it. They have YouTube and plenty others so why not Crunchyroll?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lisapcunn wrote:

They have YouTube and plenty others so why not Crunchyroll?

Because YouTube is Google?

While Crunchyroll is ultimately a subsidiary of Sony, it's a tiny operation compared to the other streamers hosted on the Sky platforms.

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

There could be an Sky App Store - that customers could pay for certain apps to contribute to costs maybe 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

@Jason+Golding 

Not going to happen: Sky would never want the considerable additional administrative and technical support burden for the very little financial return possible from a limited user base in half-a-dozen European-only countries 

As I've observed elsewhere in this context the Sky subscription service business model is fundamentally different to that of other hardware manufacturers, who can simply refer all app support queries back to the app developers (and don't have to answer the phone ; )

This message was authored by Staffy1 This message was authored by: Staffy1

I would love sky to do a deal with Crunchyroll as there now the 1# world wide anime streamer  and they even brought out Funimation so they really have no competition

Doing it the same way they do it with Disney ,Amazon and Apple  and Netflix just makes a lot of sense 

I think bt might have done a deal and that's stopping this from happening ????

Have just seen Amazon have just added them  😇 so hopefully 🙏 this works out 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Its more complex for Sky as they need to ensure the apps are plugged into the search and playlist functionality that they provide on Sky Glass/Stream. Its the reason that the available Apps are more limited and its much slower to get new apps made available.

Its this functionality that is their USP for the product compared with any of their competitors ( with regards to other smart TVs or streaming devices).

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

@Staffy1 

Having distribution within Prime probably makes it less likely there will be a standalone app on Glass/Stream.

Yeah, but we can get Amazon already so surely click on that then scroll down to Crunchyroll then we should be away  😊 

This message was authored by Xzoviac This message was authored by: Xzoviac

I would like to add that I would also like to use crunchyroll on my sky stream puck, so I dont have to switch to the firecube everytime I want to watch anime

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion