Discussion topic: Sky Glass without Sky Account

This message was authored by Lepreachaun This message was authored by: Lepreachaun

Sky Glass without Sky Account

Has anybody experience of keeping the sky glass tv but cancelling the sky glass account? I can't be bothered with the hassle of sending the tv back so planning to hook up alternatives to the TV. But I'm wondering what the menu system ends up like because it's not obvious how the menu system would work and look once the Sky account is deactivated.  

All Replies

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

Re: Sky Glass without Sky Account

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Lepreachaun 

Here's some info about using Glass without a suscription

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-glass-without-a-subscription

Thanks,,

Tim 

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Glass TV is basically a dumb monitor so any menus etc. you get will be those from the devices you attach, firestick, Apple TV etc.

Lepreachaun
Topic Author
This message was authored by Lepreachaun This message was authored by: Lepreachaun

Thanks. Even as a monitor though, is it easy to switch to the HDMI port with my Firestick or is the functionality for doing that a bit convoluted?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lepreachaun 

Keep in mind there's a key distinction between not having a Glass service subscription and not having a Sky account: functionality in the latter case is much more restricted.  There's no particularly good reason not to keep the Sky account open, unless you really don't want to get their marketing offers.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Lepreachaun
Topic Author

Just to clarify. In my humble opinion, Sky Glass is rubbish. My mind made up on that, so I am ruling out keeping my Sky glass account as an option. 

Given this position; I am now weighing up my choices to get out of this mess I find myself in. Those options seem to be:

1 Keep the Tv, by:

a) reverting back to sky Q; or

b) plugging something else in like a firestick

2) Send the Tv back

Option 2 is a lot of hassle and im beyond the 1 month period for that so I'm looking to avoid the hassle. 

My question relates to option 1 in particular. How easy is it for other devices to operate on Sky glass?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lepreachaun wrote:

Just to clarify. In my humble opinion, Sky Glass is rubbish. My mind made up on that, so I am ruling out keeping my Sky glass account as an option. 

That's a perfectly reasonable decision, but again, cancelling the Glass subscription is not the same thing as closing a Sky account.  The Glass set simply retains more functionality if it remains associated with a Sky login, without any cost to do so.

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

@Lepreachaun 

Are you still in contract for the TV package? 
Personally I'd just contact Sky and discuss it with them, stating it's not as advertised etc 

If they agree then there is no hassle in returning the Glass as they arrange it all and the courier comes, boxes it up and takes it.

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps
Lepreachaun
Topic Author

Thanks for the response. Can you explain what I will expect to see when cancelling my Sky Tv subscription but keeping a "sky account"? I don't really get what what the difference is. 

Lepreachaun
Topic Author

Thanks Tim. I'm thinking it's the hassle of taking the TV down off the wall and packaging it up etc.. if the TV will operate like a normal TV when I plug a Firestick in the back then I probably don't need to send it back but if it doesn't then I probably should. 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

If you keep your sky account linked to the glass tv but cancel your tv subscription you will still see all of the apps on there and be able to use them - you should also get a new remote to use with the tv that has specific app buttons 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by DBKS This message was authored by: DBKS

I'm going through this at present. I had assumed that when I cancelled my Sky Glass subscription the TV would just show the HDMI inputs, which I was fine with since I'd just use the Apple TV. 

Pleasantly surprised to be told on the phone that it would keep all the apps and they'd send me out a new remote with a YouTube and Netflix button in place of the Playlist buttons (will be sent out after the 31 day notice period)

At least that keeps the TV more useful until I sell it on

5A849CBA-D7B0-41A1-AF38-1CB2FCFC841C.jpeg

Playlist and Voice Control are subscription services so those are the buttons that have been replaced: the choice of Netflix and YouTube seems a little arbitrary but presumably they've bunged Sky a few quid for the privilege.

Lepreachaun
Topic Author

Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated 

This message was authored by Lander66 This message was authored by: Lander66

Hi,

I'm currently contemplating switching from Sky Q to Sky Glass. Why do you think Sky Glass is rubbish? I previously ducked out of this option as early reviews suggested that if you had Sky Q you'd be better off staying with it. However, I'm now interested in having the TV.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion