Discussion topic: Sky Glass personal history

This message was authored by Simbo1946 This message was authored by: Simbo1946

Sky Glass personal history

The TV would shut down without warning, and there were many other problems.  The set was just two years old; there was nothing Sky could do. The Glass set could not be repaired.  So, I was advised to buy another; the delivery came at the wrong time, not the time advised.  We were told that Sky did not want the old setback. However, when the delivery men arrived (at the wrong time), they took it.   I tried to set the new one up, but it did not work; Sky advised me that it was because the old one had been shut down incorrectly. We were not told how to shut it down; we now have to wait three days before using what we have just paid a lot of money.  Nothing we have been told was correct, Sky make products that you cannot repair, and we are a large amount of money out of pocket.  My wife likes it!

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky Glass personal history

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Simbo1946 wrote:

We were told that Sky did not want the old setback. However, when the delivery men arrived (at the wrong time), they took it.   

That shouldn't have been the case unless you expressly wished them to do so: it's your property unless it's a warranty swap-out.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Simbo1946 wrote:

Sky make products that you cannot repair 

That's not really correct: any individual component can be replaced.  The question is whether parts are available and if doing so is economically viable.

Simbo1946
Topic Author

We have never had a consistent reply to any of our questions from Sky.  Statements are frequently contradicted.

Simbo1946
Topic Author

Whilst your comment is correct, if a product's manufacturer does not have a repair scheme, then it is a disposable item.

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@Simbo1946 

It certainly sounds like you may have been misled. 

There is an approved repair company for Sky Glass who can perform out-of-warranty repairs. Sky publish the details on their website:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-glass-tv-repairs 

If you feel you have been somehow forced into buying another Glass TV then you should perhaps think about lodging a formal complaint with Sky. Particularly if you have received contradicting advice from them. 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/how-to-make-a-complaint 

@Simbo1946 wrote:

Whilst your comment is correct, if a product's manufacturer does not have a repair scheme, then it is a disposable item.

As @Mister_Dalek indicates, they do.  You certainly shouldn't have had the set removed if you didn't want that to be the case, as (for example) a mainboard replacement should be entirely viable.

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Was the screen broken ... in that case repairs are not offered🤔

Exiled in HH
Simbo1946
Topic Author

No there was no damage to the TV.

Simbo1946
Topic Author

I expect the company that I am communicating with to have systems in place to deal with these issues.  I expect competence from the company representative.

I have raised a complaint, but not hopeful of a sensible reply.  

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Did you receive any discount on the full price of the replacement TV?

Exiled in HH

@Simbo1946 wrote:

I expect the company that I am communicating with to have systems in place to deal with these issues.  

Waiting until the set is out of its declared warranty period is a complication.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion