Discussion topic: Sky Glass input via HDMI extender

This message was authored by ginge90 This message was authored by: ginge90

Sky Glass input via HDMI extender

Morning all,

I have my Sky glass 55" hung on the main wall of the living room.

On the other side of the room I have my 'media centre' which has all of my broadboand inputs, my ethernet switch, WiFi router, Nintendo switches etc etc.

I have run ethernet and sky cabling from one side of the room to the other within the cavity. I also put an extra Cat6 ethernet in as running a HDMI a long distance both diminishes the quality and costs quite a bit.

I then have a HDMI extender which takes a HDMI input converts it to be sent via ethernet, then a receiver the other end to convert it back to a HDMI output. 

This was all tested using a 'normal' tv and worked fine, we could play the Switch or watch a DVD etc. Now the Sky Glass is up on the wall this function no longer works. 

I have tried resetting the TV, all the devices, including the transmitter and receiver. I've tested all of my ethernet cables and connections multiple times with no issues.

I have come to the conclusion that Sky glass does not allow for the input via a converted signal, (although converted back).

Has anyone else had a similar problem or can provide a helpful solution.

Most grateful for any help.

Sam

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky Glass input via HDMI extender

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ginge90 

There have been numerous reports about consoles and older optical players which do suggest that Glass is fussy about its input.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

If the output from the receiver is presented to the tv as standard HDMI, I'm not sure why the tv would see it as anything different. The only,thing that I can think of is it might be to do with the way the receiver is powered - does it have its own external power supply or is it powered from the TV's HDMI socket?

ginge90
Topic Author

Hi @Mark39,

The unit has its own powersource to support with the conversion from HDMI-Ethernet-HDMI.

However it is the sender that is powered, power is then sent to the receiver via the Ethernet.
That does gives me the idea of moving the power to the receiver rather than the sender. I will try and get back to you.  

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@ginge90 normally the units at eaxh end require power unless the device being connected to outputs sufficent power over the HDMI socket which Glass doesn't do. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
ginge90
Topic Author

@Chrisee 

I appreciate your input, however this device only requires one power input and power is sent down the Ethernet as previously mentioned. It was the reason this extender was purchased over others. 

Please see the product details: https://www.fourkay.net/product/4k60hz-over-cat5e67-hdmi-extender

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@ginge90 yes, I have a similar model, where the receiver is powered from an external supply at the transmitter end. However I'm not currently using it with Sky Glass so have no personal experience of whether it work work or not in that application.

This message was authored by Kara19840 This message was authored by: Kara19840

@ginge90 did you find a solution for this? I have the same issue trying to connect HDMI over cat to the Glass TV panel

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion