Discussion topic: Sky Glass and End of Contract with Sky TV

This message was authored by FootPH1 This message was authored by: FootPH1

Sky Glass and End of Contract with Sky TV

Getting slightly ahead of myself here, but I'm starting to plan for the future and I'd like some advice. 

My Sky entertainment and Netflix package is up in May next year. I don't think I will be renewing with Sky - a Virgin media stream box, for example, seems  to offer much more flexible subscriptions at cheaper prices (and, to be frank, is less buggy and more reliable). 

I wonder if anyone in the community can advise as to whether a Glass can still be used without a Sky account? I will still have a Sky Mobile account after May next year but not a dedicated tv account. Will the main menu still work; will freeview channels still work; will apps still work?

Put simply is the tv still usable in its current guise or it can it effectively only be used if I plug something into it via HDMI?

Thanks in advance. 

All Replies

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Sky Glass and End of Contract with Sky TV

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sky Glass without a Sky Ultimate TV subscription will work like a normal TV.

as you Sky Glass will remained activated just without a Sky subscription you’ll be able to:

• Watch live and on demand TV through TV apps, like BBC iPlayer, ITVX, Netflix and more.
  • Connect other devices like your games console or DVD player through a HDMI port

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@FootPH1 Without a Sky subscription the Glass TV will basically function as a freeview viewer or rather expensive monitor if you want to connect another device to it..

To give you an idea of what you will be able to receive disconnect it from your Wi-Fi or Ethernet and connect an normal TV ariel cable. You will then be able to see the channels available to you.  To get Sky back simply remove the ariel cable and reconnect to your Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable.

If you own a Glass TV and cancel your Sky subscription they will send you an alternative remote (see  link below for a picture). The remote will take about 8 weeks to arrive (31 days cancellation notice period + 4 weeks after cancellation date). If you have not received the remote within that time frame then contact Sky.

Alternative remote thread

I hope this helps.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

As @Fothergill1  says plus you will have access to many of the "non" sky catchup apps ......

if you are paying for the tv monthly that will remain in situ. Don't cancel you sky account just the subscription part 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Also note ....

To access DTT ( what people incorrectly call Freeview) you have to disconnect the Sky Glass TV from the internet.

To access APPs you have to connect the Sky Glass TV to the internet.

An inconvenience deliberately built into Sky Glass TVs by Sky🤔

If you want to access DTT and APPs it is probably better the leave the Sky Glass TV disconnected from the internet, and connect a streaming device which will support more APPs and better anyway?

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by SKYRIP This message was authored by: SKYRIP

i actually thought that would the case as I finished my contract and changed over to EE. Everything fine for a few months and then one morning (This morning) I switched on and it had reset itself and popped up on a blue screen saying Network setup? **bleep** ??? I'm IT lit and I'm confused of how this is possible. Anyho I manually setup everything and still it will not connect. 

Very disappointed 

This message was authored by slaters This message was authored by: slaters

@FootPH1 Maybe wait and contact Sky when your contract is nearing it's end and discuss what they can do, what deals they have for you.

Our first 18 month contract recently ran out and we are paying a fair bit less now than when we first took it out, even taking in to account the April price rise and also adding a puck to watch in another room, we still pay less now. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SKYRIP 

Possibly related to the major Glass issue which landed yesterday evening, but with different symptoms if you don't have a Sky content subscription 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Gerard619 This message was authored by: Gerard619

I only got Glass as I needed a new TV and the finance option suited me.

I cancelled the Ultimate package almost immediately, as I didn't use it and haven't had 'live channels' for years. I only watched on demand shows/films.

I have accounts on Prime, Netflix and Disney, so that is what I have used the TV for since I got it (two years ago).

I'm with BT internet and they've neen throwing EE TV at me for ages, so I have since gotten it. It's connected via HDMI and works completely fine, so if you move away from Sky altogether, in my experience, whomever you sign up with should work grand

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion