Discussion topic: Sky Glass Blooming really bad

This message was authored by SquareEyes86 This message was authored by: SquareEyes86

Sky Glass Blooming really bad

I'm really surprised this isn't mentioned that much on here. It's almost as if customers are just ignoring the biggest defect of the product. The patchy, jumping blotches in dark scenes with some light passing through make it look absolutely awful to view. Once seen, you can't unsee. How do others with Sky Glass put up with this? What setting is best to switch to and avoid seeing so much of these nasty imperfections? I've never seen a TV do this. Even TV's over 15 years old didn't. Is it just to do with the cheap panel used or is it more a streaming only thing? Is it likely to do the same with pictures via aerial and watching a blu ray for example via HDMI? I've only ever used Sky Glass via streaming only so I wouldn't know. I watch Sky Glass using the Vivid picture settings. Can positioning of lamps inside the living room eliminate seeing the nasty blooming? Please help on anything I can do to reduce seeing the unacceptable mess of the jumping zig zaggy blotches? Why Sky put their seal of approval on the TV, knowing of this flaw is beyond me. Their previous reputation of making innovating technology that you can trust is no more. If there is to be a Sky Glass 2, this is absolutely the first thing they need to address. 

All Replies

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Re: Sky Glass Blooming really bad

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SquareEyes86 

These panels are three years old and weren't exactly the top end of the scale when released. I notice it more on certain upscaled content and viewing angle plays a big part. Sat head on the unit you don't notice it is as much. It has got slightly better with software updates, but ultimately it's limited by the age and technology used in the panel!

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SquareEyes86 wrote:

Why Sky put their seal of approval on the TV, knowing of this flaw is beyond me. Their previous reputation of making innovating technology that you can trust is no more. 

As observed many times in this forum, the current Glass model is a product designed and specified under Comcast ownership during the pandemic, with its consent component shortages and manufacturing challenges.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
SquareEyes86
Topic Author
This message was authored by SquareEyes86 This message was authored by: SquareEyes86

Absolutely no excuse. There still would of been a panel of testers and seal

of approvers. It's not like it's a minor fault. TV's I had 20 years ago didn't do this. You keep using this line of response like it's the definitive and only reason. Experts that make technology, didn't just suddenly lose their minds for 1 year. The picture would of been a priority. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SquareEyes86 wrote:

The picture would of been a priority. 

Except it clearly wasn't, otherwise it would be better: for whatever reason, they apparently chose to prioritise Bill of Materials allocation to that fancy bespoke metal enclosure and the speaker array over a distinctly average panel, generic backlight array and elderly ARM chipset.

@SquareEyes86 wrote:

Experts that make technology, didn't just suddenly lose their minds for 1 year. 

Actually, under those particular circumstances (new owner/inflated acquisition price/global pandemic) I rather suspect they did. 

I'd also suggest it was fundamentally a marketing, accountancy and stockholder relationship decision which tended to over-ride the 'experts that make technology'.

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

It's interesting Comcast made very different decisions for the USA🤔

There were Philips TVs from that time that were reasonable😉

Exiled in HH

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

It's interesting Comcast made very different decisions for the USA

Yes, really cheap* (and unsurprisingly not particularly good) televisions with Xfinity-associated branding.

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-launches-xclass-tv-powered-by-global-entertainm... 

I guess one factor would be the 'Sky'  name carries a bit of weight in the UK when associated with TV hardware, and Comcast had paid rather a lot of money for that.

*c£250 for the 43" Xclass model, compared to £699 for a Glass set of the same size.

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Haven't they replaced those now .... and no built speakers contributed to their lower price😉

Exiled in HH

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

There were Philips TVs from that time that were reasonable

There were, and are, some stonkingly good OLEDs with Philips branding, although I understand those are made by a different bit of TPV Technology to the Sky Glass contract.

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

and no built speakers contributed to their lower price

No fancy metal box either.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion