Discussion topic: Samsung dvd player not playing sound through Sky Glass.

This message was authored by Ali+Oldfield This message was authored by: Ali+Oldfield

Samsung dvd player not playing sound through Sky Glass.

Bought Sky Glass in August, and tried to play dvd's through Samsung dvd player, but there is no sound. We have tried downloading an upgrade, but it says it is not compatible. We have tried changing audio options on TV and Dvd player, but nothing makes a difference. I think it is poor to upgrade a Sky system to it to make other systems obsolete. Maybe Sky should give vouchers for new dvd players that are compatible with Sky Glass, as we've dvd's that are not available on any streaming app.

All Replies

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

Re: Samsung dvd player not playing sound through Sky Glass.

Have you  connected it to the middle  hdmi port , which is the arc port

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

I have an old 5.1 lg surround sound  dvd system  which has as scart to hdmi  adapter to it

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@Ali+Oldfield wrote:
Bought Sky Glass in August, and tried to play dvd's through Samsung dvd player, but there is no sound. We have tried downloading an upgrade, but it says it is not compatible. We have tried changing audio options on TV and Dvd player, but nothing makes a difference. I think it is poor to upgrade a Sky system to it to make other systems obsolete. Maybe Sky should give vouchers for new dvd players that are compatible with Sky Glass, as we've dvd's that are not available on any streaming app.

Connect the DVD player to HDMI port 3 on the Glass TV.

Make sure you check the following setting:

Settings > Connected devices > HDMI Inputs > Older Device Compatibility > On

If it still doesn't work then you'll need to upgrade to a newer DVD or (better still) a BluRay player.

Try connecting  it to hdmi  2 port that's  where I have my  dvd player connected and it works  fine and my lg dvd player is at least  10 years  old

@Ali+Oldfield wrote:

The hdmi  2 port is for playing sound through  other devices  like a sound bar  or dvd player 

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@peter-marlow+1966 wrote:

The hdmi  2 port is for playing sound through  other devices  like a sound bar  or dvd player 

Not strictly true, HDMI port 2 is the eARC connection, which sends sound out to a soundbar or AVR.

To get sound and picture from an older DVD player you need to connect it to HDMI port 3 which is the only HDMI input which has the compatibility feature for older hardware. 

Ali+Oldfield
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ali+Oldfield This message was authored by: Ali+Oldfield

Tried in hdmi 2 and 3, no joy.

@Ali+Oldfield wrote:

Tried in hdmi 2 and 3, no joy.

Did you try the compatibility setting turned on whilst the player was connected to HDMI port 3?

If you did and it still doesn't work then it's probably time to upgrade your player. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ali+Oldfield wrote:
Maybe Sky should give vouchers for new dvd players that are compatible with Sky Glass, as we've dvd's that are not available on any streaming app.

I'd observe that Samsung hasn't released any new optical disk models at all since their last 4K Blu-ray player in 2017: presumably a Samsung DVD player is really rather old.

We've found even the cheapest current LG Blu-ray is compatible with Glass: if you buy disks in charity shops then a 4K player may now be a good investment.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Have you checked the DVD player still works on another TV?

Exiled in HH

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion