Discussion topic: Having to turn off at socket - any way to avoid this?

This message was authored by Moghie This message was authored by: Moghie

Having to turn off at socket - any way to avoid this?

Hi,

Every now and again, SKY Glass won't come on. I have to switch off at the socket which is risky because the socket is under the TV on the wall. Each time this happens, I'm waiting for the TV to fall on top of me. Today was the last time I could put myself through this. I'm hoping there might another solution which doesn't involve removing the TV from the wall. Can anyone enlighten me? It's not the only problem I have with SKY Glass but it is by far the one which most worries me.

If I can't solve, this, how do I go about using this as a normal TV? I have a SKY dish outside (unused since I got the Glass more than a year ago) but have no external aerial. I'm struggling to understand how this works. Is it just a case of installing outside aerial and attaching cable from socket to TV?

Would appriciate any advice, thanks.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Having to turn off at socket - any way to avoid this?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Moghie wrote:

Is it just a case of installing outside aerial and attaching cable from socket to TV?

That would get you a Digital Terrestrial Television signal, but be aware that viewing on Glass through the built-in DTTV tuner is somewhat clunky because it requires the internet connection to be disabled each time.  Using an external Freeview box is likely to be a better experience (or Freesat 4K through the satellite dish)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Popd This message was authored by: Popd

I have the same problem only I have to turn it off at the plug every time I switch on the puck.

I have the same problem only I have to turn off my puck at the plug every time I use it
This message was authored by Stephen+Mourton This message was authored by: Stephen+Mourton

@Popd 

@Moghie 

On the home page scroll down to 'Settings' and select 'System Management' and find 'Restart' it will then do it all automatically without switching off. 

Moghie
Topic Author

Thanks so much for this but I can't see how it would work. The TV doesn't come on at all. All I see is that small flashing red light and nothing happens when I press the remote or the power button on the side, or speak to it. Tried holding the power for a while and still nothing. 

I'm assuming this is some sort update being sent by SKY but I really need to find a way around this or get rid altogether. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Moghie wrote:

I'm assuming this is some sort update being sent by SKY but I really need to find a way around this or get rid altogether. 

A smart switch that you can turn on and off via a mobile might be a solution?

This message was authored by Stephen+Mourton This message was authored by: Stephen+Mourton

@Moghie   I apologise I did not appreciate the physical tv would not turn on.   If that is the case I imagine it can only be a problem that an engineer can fix and the best course would be to ring Sky to arrange a visit.  

Moghie
Topic Author

Thanks. I'd try it but I'm sure it won't fit when the plug is added. I had the TV professionally installed to my wall and I struggle to slide my hand under to reach the socket just to flick the switch it off. 

I don't want to come across as pedantic here but this morning was the final straw for me when I really thought it was going  to come off the wall. With my hand stuck underneath, I'm not getting out the way of it. 

Moghie
Topic Author

Thanks so much for trying. 

I have now phoned them and there isn't a solution. They did agree its a health & safety issue given the weight. Moving it above the sockets isn't an option, so I'll be looking for a new lightweight TV before it happens again. 

Much appreciated, thank you. 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Moghie wrote:

Hi,

Every now and again, SKY Glass won't come on. I have to switch off at the socket which is risky because the socket is under the TV on the wall. Each time this happens, I'm waiting for the TV to fall on top of me. Today was the last time I could put myself through this. I'm hoping there might another solution which doesn't involve removing the TV from the wall. Can anyone enlighten me? It's not the only problem I have with SKY Glass but it is by far the one which most worries me.

If I can't solve, this, how do I go about using this as a normal TV? I have a SKY dish outside (unused since I got the Glass more than a year ago) but have no external aerial. I'm struggling to understand how this works. Is it just a case of installing outside aerial and attaching cable from socket to TV?

Would appriciate any advice, thanks.

Understand your issue but to be fair most electronic devices in a house should be able to be pulled from their sockets with ease ...... in the event of a power failure (to stop a power surge) or for resetting (which can happen to all tvs and other devices) you should really have access to the plug 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Have you considered getting your professional wall mount installer to install a mount that does not mean the TV is flush to the wall?

Exiled in HH

Ive tried that and it doesnt work. Only turning it off at the plug fixes it

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Moghie wrote:

I'm hoping there might another solution which doesn't involve removing the TV from the wall. 

1000003575.jpg

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Moghie wrote:

Is it just a case of installing outside aerial and attaching cable from socket to TV?

That would get you a Digital Terrestrial Television signal, but be aware that viewing on Glass through the built-in DTTV tuner is somewhat clunky because it requires the internet connection to be disabled each time.  Using an external Freeview box is likely to be a better experience (or Freesat 4K through the satellite dish)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion