Discussion topic: Does Everyone Agree Skyglass Still Has Major Bugs?

This message was authored by Hirsty+Barkston This message was authored by: Hirsty+Barkston

Does Everyone Agree Skyglass Still Has Major Bugs?

I was a faithful early adopter of Skyglass and it has been nothing but consistent issues from the start. My wife just wants to go back to our old system but we've invested in the TV. I accept that there will be bugs at the outset but still getting issues around programmes not loading, rewind not working and then the whole TV freezing - resorting to pulling the power out to reset it once a week.

Playlist is great but you can't save all your programmes on there that you want to watch so it's kind of a 'partial playlist'. 

The freezing of live TV - watching breaksfast on BBC on a morning and that randomly freezes everymorning.

No - there's nothing wrong with our internet - it is provided by sky and we get stacks of nbandwidth.

I wish someone from sky would sort this out as we feel immensley frustrated that it doesn't just 'work'!

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Does Everyone Agree Skyglass Still Has Major Bugs?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hirsty+Barkston 

Glass television sets will be as perfectly identical as the production line can turn them out.  Where there is some difference it's in mechanical elements such as speaker assembly.

The biggest factor by far in individual performance is the local wireless environment.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Hirsty+Barkston wrote:

I was a faithful early adopter of Skyglass and it has been nothing but consistent issues from the start. My wife just wants to go back to our old system but we've invested in the TV. I accept that there will be bugs at the outset but still getting issues around programmes not loading, rewind not working and then the whole TV freezing - resorting to pulling the power out to reset it once a week.

Playlist is great but you can't save all your programmes on there that you want to watch so it's kind of a 'partial playlist'. 

The freezing of live TV - watching breaksfast on BBC on a morning and that randomly freezes everymorning.

No - there's nothing wrong with our internet - it is provided by sky and we get stacks of nbandwidth.

I wish someone from sky would sort this out as we feel immensley frustrated that it doesn't just 'work'!

How is yout TV connecting to your hub?  Having stacks of broadband is irelevant if the isue is poor wifi connections.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Fat_Bob This message was authored by: Fat_Bob

The issues aren't all to do with broadband speed and bandwidth.

There are still inherent problems with the streaming infrastructure and UI on the entire Glass/Stream platform which make watching TV on Sky's hardware an infuriating experience. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Hirsty+Barkston honestly you should not get freezing I certainly dont and like you have had Glass and the pucks from the start. The issue is you can have loads of bandwidth at the router but still have issues with the speed and stability at the TV. You can check the speed by running the Network Test in the Get Help menu in the Netflix app. However speed is only one aspect the stability of the data delivery is equally important. 

Ideally if you are having problems with freezing, which I repeat is not a system fault with Glass so you dont have to put up with it, consider using an ethernet cable from your Sky hub to the TV. If as is likely that is impractical there are solutions but they will cost a few pounds. I would avoid simple wifi boosters as while they can work in some houses they can cause as many issues as they solve for this reason dont buy Sky's Broadband Boost bundle. Their newer Sky Wifi Max bundle is more expensive and potentially can sort issues out but is pricy as they charge you every month and it still has some bugs..

Personally I solved a similar issue by buying a whole home wifi system for £100 and use that set up in access point mode with the Sky hub's wifi turned off. None of my pucks or tge Glass TV scattered around a farly large house freeze.

There are other solutions like Powerline networking which can work. Unfortunately Sky's marketing make out wifi is going to magically work for everyone when the truth is somewhat different in the real world.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Fat_Bob  @Hirsty+Barkston 

No 'freezing' here, on either Sky Glass or pucks. 

TV and one puck is on ethernet, other puck is on WiFi via a BT Whole Home disk.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Fat_Bob This message was authored by: Fat_Bob

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Fat_Bob  @Hirsty+Barkston 

No 'freezing' here, on either Sky Glass or pucks. 

TV and one puck is on ethernet, other puck is on WiFi via a BT Whole Home disk.

I don't get 'freezing' either. 

I just get a useless continue watching rail, a playlist which doesn't update, lip sync which changes between streams from different app sources, appalling fast forwarding and rewinding which lags so much, remotes which stop working for no reason whatsoever, and apps which take an age to open....

It's awful. 

This message was authored by JulieinScotland This message was authored by: JulieinScotland

No as far as I'm concerned personally Sky Glass works well for me; although I do not watch live TV nor do I use the Continue Watching Rail, preferring to either open a programme directly from the On Demand Services or the Playlist.

I do not have any freezing issues

As said by others having a stable signal first to the router and then via WiFi signal across your home will assist the operation of the Sky Glass.

I'm also an early adopter of Sky Glass having had a set since week 1 of launch and have recently changed my Black 55in set for a 65in Green one......  Both have functioned well for me.

FYI,  my router is at the end of a fibre to cabinet connection getting a stable circa 72MBs and my glass gets between 45 and 50 MBs when measure in the Netflix app

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Nope, don't agree that Glass still has major bugs. For me, barring the occasional (maybe once a month, no different from Sky Q) need to restart it, it works reliably. Certainly no freezing. I do agree that the Continue Watching rail works randomly, though in my experience better than it used to.

Mine is connected via bog standard wifi, no boosters or additional kit, with download speed at the Hub of 62Mbps.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Agree 100% with you @Mark39 with the addition of FF/RW needing significant improvement and Sky need to sort out the disappearing progress bars.  

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Mark39 wifi is great when it works as it does for you and loads of others but an absolute pain when it doesn't and freezing is a definite symptom of a networking issue. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by theokk3 This message was authored by: theokk3

Mine does freeze on Netflix. Also it decides it doesn't want to turn on from the remote sometimes. I've replaced the remote as I find it really bad, and still hasn't helped. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

I had Glass for 18 months before selling it and moving to Stream. I have never experienced freezing on either my Glass or stream puck.  However I did find fairly early on that if I gave too many remote commands too quickly it confused  my Glass TV and it would lock up and required a reboot to get it going again.  This has not happened on my puck but that might be because I have learnt to be a little more gentle with the remote commands.

I am not suggesting that Glass/Stream is perfect as it certainly isn't but I don't seem to have had the hardware issues that others have experienced.  My issues relate to things like FF/RW, Continue watching rail, progress bars etc.  I would also include the frustration of being charged for Add Skipping with a FF/RW function that doesn't work properly.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by mandy+oconnor This message was authored by: mandy+oconnor

My whole experience with Sky Glass has been awful - i went straight back to SKY Q but kept the TV.  Watching the England game with friends round last week was embarassing it kept freezing (i have the fast broadband so it wasn't the WIFI.) and the picture was shockingly dull,  the TV keeps coming up with SKY Glass screen then SKY Q screen , using both remotes then not pairing at all, the TV menu kept coming up at the bottom of the screen.  I will be sending my TV back this week  as it is under the cool down period. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@mandy+oconnor wrote:

My whole experience with Sky Glass has been awful - i went straight back to SKY Q but kept the TV.  Watching the England game with friends round last week was embarassing it kept freezing (i have the fast broadband so it wasn't the WIFI.) and the picture was shockingly dull,  the TV keeps coming up with SKY Glass screen then SKY Q screen , using both remotes then not pairing at all, the TV menu kept coming up at the bottom of the screen.  I will be sending my TV back this week  as it is under the cool down period. 

Just a note, a fast broadband speed doesn't mean good Wifi. Your broadband speed is the speed down to the line to your hub/router. 

Wifi networks will suffer from interference, the level of interference will be different in everyones home and depends upon mulitple factors including other electronic devices, location of the router, neighbouring Wifi networks and even the structure of your home ( walls) will impact the Wifi signal. Most ISPs on their standard tariff provide basic, cheap routers, so to improve Wifi signal strength and stability many ISPs offer add-ons where they upgrade to a better router and/or offer Wifi extenders to build a mesh network.  There are other options that can be tried without "upgrading" tier which is to relocate the router to a more suitable position ( it shouldn't be on the floor, in a cupboard, close to other electronic devices or radiators in order for it to provide the best signal), purchase your option better router ( or mesh system) and setup your own wifi network or purchase powerline adapters and connect via ethernet cables instead if connecting directly to the router isn't feasible.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by mandy+oconnor This message was authored by: mandy+oconnor

Yes - my router is in the same room (average size room ) on a table not covered the only thing between tv and router is a chimney breast . Never had any problems before with my WIFI or tv freezing when I had a smart TV and sky Q. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion