Discussion topic: Do i need a tv license.

This message was authored by Dannyboy157 This message was authored by: Dannyboy157

Do i need a tv license.

I have a potential good offer from sky for sky stream for 14 months. Do I need a tv license to use the service. Is it on demand streaming like nowtv?

Best Answers
This message was authored by 82bit This message was authored by: 82bit Answer

Re: Do i need a tv license.

@MarkGoldsmith  Simply not true. The BBC would love everyone to believe this is the case, but the law is quite clear on the matter: it is the act of watching or recording live television programmes or using BBC iPlayer that requires a TV Licence - it is not required for simply having receiving equipment. It is its use for the purpose of live TV viewing that does. 

~-~-~-~-~-~
Sky Glass 65” with Sky Live
Sky Glass 43” with Sky Live
Sky Stream Puck + Sky Soundbox
Sky Stream Puck x3

BT FTTP:
↓920Mbps
↑110Mbps
~-~-~-~-~-~

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

Yes you  do as bbc and itv channels  are all on there and bbc I player and itvx

Dannyboy157
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dannyboy157 This message was authored by: Dannyboy157

Thanks. Can I use sky stream as an on demand service only? And not access the live stream channels?

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dannyboy157 wrote:

Thanks. Can I use sky stream as an on demand service only? And not access the live stream channels?

If you don't want to access the linear channels you don't have to, but you can't disable them.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

And to answer the TV license question yes.

A TV license is required if in your address you have a device that is capable of streaming live TV channels. 

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@Dannyboy157 wrote:

I have a potential good offer from sky for sky stream for 14 months. Do I need a tv license to use the service. Is it on demand streaming like nowtv?

Even NOWTV requires a TV license🤔

Exiled in HH
Dannyboy157
Topic Author

If that's true, that's crazy. I don't watch terrestrial tv. Only catchup/on demand. If that was true you'd need a license to have a phone/ipad/tablet.

Dannyboy157
Topic Author

I thought Now tv is on demand, so you don't need a license

@Dannyboy157 wrote:

If that's true, that's crazy. I don't watch terrestrial tv. Only catchup/on demand. If that was true you'd need a license to have a phone/ipad/tablet.

From the gov.uk website:

MarkGoldsmith_0-1723820652496.png

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

The below in italics taken from the TV licensing website;
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

A TV Licence covers you to:
  • Watch or record TV on any channel on any TV service (like Sky, Virgin Media and Freeview).
  • Watch live on streaming services (like ITVX, All 4, YouTube and Amazon Prime Video).
  • Use BBC iPlayer*
This applies to any device, including a TV, computer, laptop, phone, tablet, games console or digital box.
*A licence is not needed to watch S4C programmes on demand.
- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
Dannyboy157
Topic Author

Ok. So, I saw this on the tv licensing site, If I have a streaming service, but I don't watch live tv as it's being broadcast, technically I would be in the clear..  It's using YouTube as an example, so the same rules should apply with any streaming service..

IMG_2624.jpeg

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

Now tv is not on demand  tv you have sky max  and other channels  like sky movies  and sports  you need a licence  for sky glass, or sky stream  as you will  be watching  tv live

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Dannyboy157 wrote:

I thought Now tv is on demand, so you don't need a license

NowTV use requires the property to be covered by a license if any channel is being viewed live ('as broadcast').  That you've 'demanded' the stream to start playing isn't a defense if the same content is also being transmitted over mast or satellite.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Dannyboy157 

It's the activity which is licenseable, not the platform.  If you don't carry out licenced viewing (and are potentially prepared to declare that in court) then your address doesn't need a television licence.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by 82bit This message was authored by: 82bit Answer

@MarkGoldsmith  Simply not true. The BBC would love everyone to believe this is the case, but the law is quite clear on the matter: it is the act of watching or recording live television programmes or using BBC iPlayer that requires a TV Licence - it is not required for simply having receiving equipment. It is its use for the purpose of live TV viewing that does. 

~-~-~-~-~-~
Sky Glass 65” with Sky Live
Sky Glass 43” with Sky Live
Sky Stream Puck + Sky Soundbox
Sky Stream Puck x3

BT FTTP:
↓920Mbps
↑110Mbps
~-~-~-~-~-~

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion