Discussion topic: Disadvantages of switching off Sky Glass when going on holiday

This message was authored by Neil+Curry This message was authored by: Neil+Curry

Disadvantages of switching off Sky Glass when going on holiday

I am going on holiday for 4 weeks and normally switch off electrical devices when away from home. What are the disadvantages if I switch off Sky Glass over this period? Will I loose the programmes that I have set up series link and record etc, or will I be able to take up shows where we left off when we return and switch the TV back on? Is it much worse if we switch the TV off, will software updates not take place, or be stored ready for TV reactivation etc?

Best Answers
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Re: Disadvantages of switching off Sky Glass when going on holiday

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You won't lose recordings as nothing is recorded to your device. Everything is associated with your account and essentially just a link to the recordings elsewhere (on-demand app or a cloud recording Sky have taken).

software updates are generally quite rare, 3 or 4 times a year I believe. They roll them out in batches which is partly why the roll out takes a couple of months per update they release.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You won't lose recordings as nothing is recorded to your device. Everything is associated with your account and essentially just a link to the recordings elsewhere (on-demand app or a cloud recording Sky have taken).

software updates are generally quite rare, 3 or 4 times a year I believe. They roll them out in batches which is partly why the roll out takes a couple of months per update they release.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Derek_Trotter This message was authored by: Derek_Trotter

@Neil+Curry 

It's perfectly safe, and very much adviseable with Sky Glass, to turn it off completely at the wall if you're not going to be home for 4 weeks. 

All your account information, playlisted items and such like will be updated as soon as you turn it back on. Likewise, any software updates (which are unlikely in December) will happen automatically upon you reconnecting your Glass TV to broadband. 

Have a great holiday! 

Neil+Curry
Topic Author
This message was authored by Neil+Curry This message was authored by: Neil+Curry

Thamls guys, good to know

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion