Discussion topic: Compensation Re - Sky Glass Issues

This message was authored by Peter162 This message was authored by: Peter162

Compensation Re - Sky Glass Issues

Do we know if Sky are compensating customers who had issues with Sky Glass, our tv was down for over five days so they should in all honesty take that period off the bill at least for tv services?

Best Answers
Peter162
Topic Author
This message was authored by Peter162 This message was authored by: Peter162 Answer

Re: Compensation Re - Sky Glass Issues

In the end, Sky offered a £5 compensation directly off our bill. Which worked out to be £1 per day we were without service but as a goodwill gesture let us choose between a £15 Tesco voucher or a £14 Sky Store Voucher.

But, this was through their online messaging facilities and after some back and fore chats. The £5 was a reluctant add on in the end but they did eventually offer something.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Peter162 wrote:

Do we know if Sky are compensating customers who had issues with Sky Glass, our tv was down for over five days so they should in all honesty take that period off the bill at least for tv services?

You would need to speak to Sky yourself.

No one here can tell you if Sky will provide automatic compensation for the outages

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@GD1 wrote:

@Peter162 wrote:

You would need to speak to Sky yourself.

No one here can tell you if Sky will provide automatic compensation for the outages

Agreed. And personally I would think that's highly unlikely

Peter162
Topic Author

Thanks for your response, I just thought they may have said something given this wasn't a single issue or a town this was thousands of customers across the country so was more of a larger issue than a single customer. 

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Given the issue was on Sky's servers ... compensation should be given especially as Sky knows who lost service based on who was accessing which server🤔

Exiled in HH
Peter162
Topic Author

I have spoken with Sky - they say sky glass was only down for 24 hours, I don't know about anyone else but mine was down for going on 5 days?

they are offering no compensation to customers who faced issues with Sky Glass despite it being their issue.

Kind of makes you think, doesn't it. If they are unwilling to at least compensate customers for the cost of the services for the duration that we were not provided for an issue on their side, are they really customer focused or would another company be better?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Peter162 wrote:

I have spoken with Sky - they say sky glass was only down for 24 hours, 

The issue began on the evening of Thursday 19th September: many devices (like the three here) were successfully reset the following morning, so there was a potential fix available at that time. 

Whether or not it could be applied by any individual household was dependent on several different factors, including legacy issues with account details.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Peter162 wrote:

I have spoken with Sky - they say sky glass was only down for 24 hours, I don't know about anyone else but mine was down for going on 5 days?

they are offering no compensation to customers who faced issues with Sky Glass despite it being their issue.

Kind of makes you think, doesn't it. If they are unwilling to at least compensate customers for the cost of the services for the duration that we were not provided for an issue on their side, are they really customer focused or would another company be better?

The issue is that "technically" Sky are correct as they published the fix that customers needed to go through on the Friday morning, about 15-16 hours after the issue was first reported on the Thursday afternoon.

Also unfortunately at best if conpensation were offered, it would only likely to be for the duration of the outage, which would equate to less than 1 day's credit off of a customer's TV bill.

Most service providers, like Sky, won't offer a 100% uptime gurantee, and would within T&Cs have some of "acceptable" outage cluase. For a lot of service providers this may be 99% gurantee uptime over a 12 month period, which may sound high but actually equates to about 3.5 days allowable service outage over a 12 month period.

I think if Sky had numerous long periods of outages then it would be extremely difficult for them to avoid offering compensation however these types of wide scale outages of the platform are rare when you look at a longer timeframe.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Were Sky Glass TV customers informed of the solution?

Sky have their customers contact details🤔

OR even on....

https://www.sky.com/help/servicestatus/tv

Exiled in HH
Peter162
Topic Author

Our Sky Glass TV seemed to be unfortunate then as we tried going through the trouble shooting on several occasions during those five days and it did nothing, ours reconnected Tuesday morning. 

We tried Monday night when we got home about 5:30 and it didn't work so it might have worked sometime between then and the 07:00 when we tried Tuesday morning.

The last point above is also worth noting, Sky knows all customers contact details and not once did it reach out by an email or other comms, or alert customers to a new solution to inform them one was available but they would need to do things, it would only be caught early by those actively monitoring Sky's website and Comms. Something a lot of the elder generation may not do as they would likely just wait for it to re-connect after an outage.

Think this is the first major outage of Sky, so definitely some learning to be had by them after this.

@Peter162 wrote:

Our Sky Glass TV seemed to be unfortunate then as we tried going through the trouble shooting on several occasions during those five days and it did nothing, ours reconnected Tuesday morning. 

We tried Monday night when we got home about 5:30 and it didn't work so it might have worked sometime between then and the 07:00 when we tried Tuesday morning.

The last point above is also worth noting, Sky knows all customers contact details and not once did it reach out by an email or other comms, or alert customers to a new solution to inform them one was available but they would need to do things, it would only be caught early by those actively monitoring Sky's website and Comms. Something a lot of the elder generation may not do as they would likely just wait for it to re-connect after an outage.

Think this is the first major outage of Sky, so definitely some learning to be had by them after this.

It would be reasonable to expect responsibility to be taken ... and offer some compensation however little it may be😉

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

I've seen a couple of posts here indicating that Sky advisers are authorised to give £5 by way of compensation, if you complain. I doubt it will be automatically applied.

This message was authored by anneeone This message was authored by: anneeone

My Sky was down until this evening 28/9/24. I rang Sky on Friday 20th because the fix did not work on my tv - and adviser told me tv didn't work with the fix only the pucks.   I rang again in Saturday 21st and again on Sunday 22nd and went through everything again.  I complained on twitter so can prove all of this. 

I went away from Monday 23rd till Friday 27th but my son was home.  

I rang Sky on Friday 27th and was told the issue was fixed but it was known that further issues applied to those of us with an EE router. I was advised I would need to connect an Ethernet cable and rather than wait for Sky to send me one long enough, I should buy one from Amazon. The guy Jay  credited the cost to my account. 

the cable arrived after teatime on Saturday 28th and the fix worked. A total of 8 days without service

Peter162
Topic Author
This message was authored by Peter162 This message was authored by: Peter162 Answer

In the end, Sky offered a £5 compensation directly off our bill. Which worked out to be £1 per day we were without service but as a goodwill gesture let us choose between a £15 Tesco voucher or a £14 Sky Store Voucher.

But, this was through their online messaging facilities and after some back and fore chats. The £5 was a reluctant add on in the end but they did eventually offer something.

This message was authored by stfcwccc1 This message was authored by: stfcwccc1

I am now on my 10th day without Sky Glass. Irried numerous times during the first four days to reconnect following the instructions to the letter. On the fifth day I called sky & there erson I was speaking with went through it with me about 6/7 times without success. She decided it was a fault with the TV. Two days later a 'new' TV was delivered. I tried again multiple times but still no joy. Back to Sky & same thing happened. ie: going around in circles. Eventually she contacted an engineer & got back to me. Most viewers had it back BUT apparently the engineers are having huge problems getting EE broadband customers back to normal as EE won't recognise the update. After two more days waiting I called again. The problem is still ongoing, and althoght we went through the re-set palaver again about 5 times the sky chap & I agreed that they would call me with any positive information. I'm still waiting 😱😡. I'm cancelling Sky Glass today. I am a very patient person but this situation is absolutely ridiculous. 🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion