Discussion topic: Acorn TV Sky Glass

This message was authored by DestroyertheN4SA This message was authored by: DestroyertheN4SA

Acorn TV Sky Glass

Hi, I notice that a lot of the dramas we like are moving over to AcornTV but it doesn't seem to be on Sky Glass. Surely Sky will need to add the channel if a lot of the main programs are moving over to this? It's an extra like £5 a month and even then it doesn't seem to be on Sky Glass?

Best Answers
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Re: Acorn TV Sky Glass

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Acorn TV isn't a channel its a third party app.

It essentially requires both Sky and Acorn TV to want the app to be available on Sky's Entertainment OS platform. For a smaller streaming service like Acorn TV it may not make financial sense for them to develop and support a specific version of the app to work on Sky's own operating system. The third party app developers also need to ba able to expose their app for Sky's playlisting functionality to be able to search and view/track what customers are watching.

If you want to watch Acorn TV on Sky Glass i'd suggest subscribing to it via Amazon Prime, as its available as a Amazon Prime Channel to be subscribed to.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Acorn TV isn't a channel its a third party app.

It essentially requires both Sky and Acorn TV to want the app to be available on Sky's Entertainment OS platform. For a smaller streaming service like Acorn TV it may not make financial sense for them to develop and support a specific version of the app to work on Sky's own operating system. The third party app developers also need to ba able to expose their app for Sky's playlisting functionality to be able to search and view/track what customers are watching.

If you want to watch Acorn TV on Sky Glass i'd suggest subscribing to it via Amazon Prime, as its available as a Amazon Prime Channel to be subscribed to.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@DestroyertheN4SA wrote:

Hi, I notice that a lot of the dramas we like are moving over to AcornTV but it doesn't seem to be on Sky Glass. Surely Sky will need to add the channel if a lot of the main programs are moving over to this? It's an extra like £5 a month and even then it doesn't seem to be on Sky Glass?

Quite a  lot of Acorn TV is available via other channels,  I think quite a few are on UKTV channels - for instance Brokenwood Mysteries is on Drama & Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on Alibi

Acorn TV in the UK is quite a small market  - possibly due to it's spread on other channels I  mention.

Acorn TV is available as a subscription channel within Amazon Prime TV - as ithappens I am watching that way with a 14 day trial so I am enjoying some of shows that aren't otherwise available - so there are some. I am watching (& really enjoying)  the Chelsea Detective as I write this 

I may continue with a sub after the trial but probably not more than a month. 

Interesting I find that Brokenwood Msyetries I mentioned above only goes to Series 8 & does not yet have Series 9 that aired on Drama last year - so the new series (10) would only appear to be available elsewhere 

Thus, personally,  I don't really think it is worth SKY/Acorn spending  money/effort in setting up their dedicated  app on SKY - as I say you can get it via a sub on Prime Video  (edit as @MarkGoldsmith  also mentions) 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion