Discussion topic: ARS VS EVE is 15 seconds behind the actual live game

This message was authored by Henry-h This message was authored by: Henry-h

ARS VS EVE is 15 seconds behind the actual live game

Hi all is there a reason sky glass is showing the arsenal vs Everton game 15 seconds behind the actual live game? As I'm watching a watch along on YouTube and also tried the radio and they are 15 seconds in front of me watching it (live) on sky glass? And no I ain't rewound it I am watching live lol ?

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: ARS VS EVE is 15 seconds behind the actual live game

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Henry-h wrote:

Hi all is there a reason sky glass is showing the arsenal vs Everton game 15 seconds behind the actual live game? As I'm watching a watch along on YouTube and also tried the radio and they are 15 seconds in front of me watching it (live) on sky glass? And no I ain't rewound it I am watching live lol ?

The answer is it's being watched over the internet which has an inevitable delay compared to  radio

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Unicast IP delivery will always introduce a slight delay to a live broadcast and keeping it to only 15 seconds is actually really good. The only way to improve on this would be to switch to multicast IP delivery but that won't happen for technical and logistical reasons 

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

Unless something has changed recently, Stream and Glass channels are running at 30 - 40 seconds delay compared to the broadcast on Q, which has its own inherent delay (being sent to the satellite from the broadcast location then back down to receiving dishes).

The live stream you were watching on YouTube @Henry-h will also have been delayed in reaching you. 

Every type of broadcast has a delay of some sort, how long is only a problem usually on live events and depends on your own environment and preferences.

Watching a live game on Stream when you live in a quiet place is fine for many, but if you have goal alerts on your phone and live next door to a bunch of sports mad noisy fans, you will want to buy some earplugs.

Technology changes such as better/faster encoding will bring the delay down over time.

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Interestingly Sky Stream  is about 10 seconds behind virgin stream which also uses IP. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick Roku 4K Google Chromecast
This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

@Jason+Golding wrote:

Interestingly Sky Stream  is about 10 seconds behind virgin stream which also uses IP. 

Virgin control the whole of their delivery network, which should mean a greater advantage than 10 seconds.

Says a lot for the state of the Virgin network if that is all they can manage!

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

I have both Sky and virgin stream. It's 10 seconds 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K

@stereohaven I am talking about virgin stream not virgin 360

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion