Discussion topic: Toggling the subtitles on/off using the ‘?’ on the Sky Q remote.

This message was authored by Dekero This message was authored by: Dekero

Toggling the subtitles on/off using the ‘?’ on the Sky Q remote.

Has there been changes made to the way the subtitles can be turned on and off?

Since day one and through the following change-out of the various boxes and upgrades I have always switched on the subtitles via the settings > accessibility toggling the subtitles to 'on'.

If I needed to be selective as to when I wanted to use the subtitles I would simply press '?' on the remote, move across to subtitles and toggle to on or off.

Now the set-up seems to be that when using the remote, toggling the switch to 'off' for the subtitles only temporarily switches the subs off for the channel being watched, e.g. when you change the channel the  subs automatically turn on again. Therefore if anyone needs the subs to be off across all channels they find that it needs to be done with settings > accessibility bit of a long way for a short cut,

Has anyone else encountered this and is there a fix for a quick on / off via the remote on the '?' button?

regards

Dekero

Best Answers
This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn Answer

Re: Toggling the subtitles on/off using the ‘?’ on the Sky Q remote.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Hi @Dekero changes with the last update Q160 

Please look through the discusions as there are a few covering this & I am not sure off hand which one will give you the best answers

EDIT : I am not sure but I think one mentions Voice control for Subtitles On (or off) works well

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn Answer

This message was authored by Roger+teleman This message was authored by: Roger+teleman

Hi only very recently in the last 5 days maximum, whereas I have usually hit the? button and toggled subtitles on and off. Suddenly when the? the button is pressed Subtitles icon has disappeared. Only works through talking to the remote. Any ideas would be useful 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

HI @Roger+teleman I suggest reading the discussion linked to above by @MightyQuinn 

This message was authored by Roger+teleman This message was authored by: Roger+teleman

Thanks to Sky Community I understand what has happened all works fine.

Cheers Roger Teleman

Dekero
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dekero This message was authored by: Dekero

Good evening nigea99,

As you noted, the voice commands work well in turning the sub's on and off, but, the mini boxes are not supplied with voice control remotes.

I did experiment with with the 'voice' remote on a mini box, the sub's were turned off but wouldn't turn back on so I had to revert to the settings>accessibility to toggle it back on.

What I don't get is why change something that's so simplistic, there used to be 3 actions to toggle the sub's on or off, (4 with the advent of the language), and now the viewer needs to navigate through settings if they are watching via a mini box.

I've seen numerous posts regarding subtitles i.e. removing the black background, being able to change the font size, placement etc, but no complaints  on the switching off and on.

Who takes it upon themselves to make this type of  changes, I can think of a few names.......

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @Dekero   The response from Sky is in the link above.

This message was authored by Deek+rodgers This message was authored by: Deek+rodgers

Derek rodgers sky update 

[removed]

Moderator note: removed potentially personal details

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion