Discussion topic: Locked out of email

This message was authored by pbarnfield This message was authored by: pbarnfield

Locked out of email

Firstly I am a Sky Customer and resorting to posting on here on behalf of someone else.  I am an IT Tech and I have been approached by a customer who can no longer access his Sky emails.   We tried password recovery, but apparently his Last Name answer is incorrect - with or without capital first letters.

He then tells me he hasn't been a Sky Customer for some time, so I suspect the account is suspended.  Tried to call and use the Live Chat Assistant, but everytime is sends us here.  Went to post after setting up his replacement email account elsewhere, and then realised you have to sign in!  Handy as we cannot do this, hence why I'm trying to help him.

He doesn't recall ever getting an email to say his account will be suspended (assuming that is the issue here, unless it's been taken over/compromised).  But he does have some important emails on there which relate to some legal disputes, so he wants to be able to get them back or have his email content backed up / exported and sent to him.

Any suggestions on how to get in touch with someone to check on this.  Of course if there are any advisors here that can at least check his Sky email to see what is going on, I really would appreciate a message and I'll happily share the required info.

Thanks, Phil

Best Answers
This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach Answer

Re: Locked out of email

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@pbarnfield wrote:

Screenshot 2023-08-02 133827.png

That usually means they have detected a security problem with the account, and need the user to pass security. The problem is that the agents answering that number never seem to know what to do, it will probably take a few tries before he get an agent who does know.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Sky remove email accounts only if a customer hasn't logged in for a while - around 3 months, I think.

What exactly is the error message he's seeing? And does it say contact Sky to get it corrected?

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

Is he/you able to access his Sky account here: https://www.sky.com/myaccount/my-details

Edit: I haven't been a Sky customer for over 10 years, and my email works fine, so no they do not get suspended, as long as they are used regularly.

pbarnfield
Topic Author
This message was authored by pbarnfield This message was authored by: pbarnfield

So he's not able to login, hence why we opted to password reset.  But when he enters his security answers it says the Last Name isn't correct - but it can only ever be his surname!  Tried with and without capitals etc.

Yeah I've not noticed anyone lately getting locked out of an account when it's been in use despite not being a paying customer.  But the trouble is you can't sign in anywhere or get hold of a real human to sort the problem out from Sky's end.

So, is he not able to log in here: https://www.sky.com/myaccount/my-details ?

All that is required for the username is the bit before @sky.com in the email address.

If he can't, exactly what happens when he tries.

pbarnfield
Topic Author

pbarnfield
Topic Author

This is however a different number so will pass this onto him to see if he can escalate further.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

What is supposed to happen is that when that number is called it blocks the account but in reality that probably will not happen.

Can he reset his email password:

https://skyid.sky.com/resetpassword/

If not then call then number and explain that you are logged out of your Sky account. It might takes a few calls before you get to speak to someone who knows what they are doing as it did with me when this happened to me a few years ago.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach Answer

@pbarnfield wrote:

That usually means they have detected a security problem with the account, and need the user to pass security. The problem is that the agents answering that number never seem to know what to do, it will probably take a few tries before he get an agent who does know.

pbarnfield
Topic Author

I've just had an email back from the customer and it seems he finally got there after 6 different advisors!! 

Many thanks on his behalf for the advice.  Strange that he couldn't reset the password himself, but I guess that would be due to it being locked.

@pbarnfield wrote:

Strange that he couldn't reset the password himself, but I guess that would be due to it being locked.

Obviously, I can't be sure, but I suspect they had given their credentials on a phishing email, and so Sky needed more than just knowing the password to unlock the account.

Tell them to  check their email account carefully for any filters or spurious reply to address that may have been set up.

Glad they were able to get there.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion