Discussion topic: Hacked emails and lost inbox

This message was authored by DGW439 This message was authored by: DGW439

Hacked emails and lost inbox

Hi everyone - my sky email account was hacked yesterday. I managed to get back into my account and reset the password but all of the emails in my inbox have gone. I've checked trash, archive etc. I've had this email since 2007 and it's my life! Sky customer services said that they couldn't help restore any emails and sent me to yahoo. I managed to speak to Yahoo and they said they can't restore anything because it's a partner account - so neither will help or take responsibilty. I found a link on the yahoo UK page to restore inbox and that has brought some of my old emails back - but only up until 2019. I'm currently about to exchange on selling and buying a house and all my emails have gone - nightmare timing. Can anyone suggest anything more I can do? Unbelievable that neither sky nor yahoo customer services will help. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Hacked emails and lost inbox

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If you've tried Yahoo's restore process here, I'm afraid the other emails are gone for good, unless you kept a backup.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/sln2552.html

Typically an unauthorised user will set up a different return email address, and filters to divert your incoming emails to a different account or to trash. Check for any unauthorised changes to your filter settings and return email setting via Setttings > More Settings > then Filters etc

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@DGW439 

Did you download your emails to other devices via the POP settings perhaps, because if nit and Yahoo can not restore then then they are gone for good unless you have a copy along with your reply in the Sent folder.

Online make sure you also check this one:

Settings > More Settings > Mailboxes > Your email address > Reply-to address

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
DGW439
Topic Author

Thanks Mark - they had added a filter and a different return address which I've now changed back. Incredible that they can still gain access even with the need for one time pass code. Is there a different email provider that offers better security and more likely to have a restore process that works do you know?

DGW439
Topic Author

I only ever access my emails via a browser or my iphone and sadly they've all gone from my iphone too. They also deleted my sent items. Incredible! Thank you anyway. 

@DGW439 wrote:

Is there a different email provider that offers better security and more likely to have a restore process that works do you know?

I have never had an issue with Gmail, so I have no idea about their restore process or even if there is one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

@DGW439 genuine hacking is actually rare. What usually happens is that a Sky Yahoo Mail user unwittingly responds to a scam email urging them to 'verify' or 'upgrade' or 'update' their email settings, via a link provided. The link takes them to a fake website which captures their login credentials. We see frequent posts reporting this, but I'm not suggesting that's what has happened in your case. You may have been particularly unlucky.

Personally I use Gmail via a POP client which enables me to maintain a backup of my inbox etc. I don't remember, coming across any hacking incidents for Gmail and it has worked fine for me. I don't think they have a restore process - other users may know better.

DGW439
Topic Author

Thank you - I might have a look into gmail. My mother who also uses sky / yahoo was hacked a couple of months ago. Very similar operation - everyone in her contacts sent an initial email and anyone that responds sent a further email talking about needing to buy a present for a child with cancer. Horrendous. My mum didn't lose her emails though so I've been doubly unlucky. Thanks again for the advice. 

@DGW439 wrote:

Thank you - I might have a look into gmail. My mother who also uses sky / yahoo was hacked a couple of months ago.

As @Mark39 has said above she might not have been hacked but could she perhaps in error responded to a scam emails of which we get asked if they are legit on a almost daily basis on here. Examples of these emails are those that look like they are from Sky and say that if you don't take action then the email account would be closed but really they are from scammers who want the login information to the said account after which they then have access to the email account.

This message was authored by BenGil This message was authored by: BenGil

Hi...I’ve had my sky.com email account for almost 18 years, and it’s been my main email for everything. I have my Gmail account linked to it, so no matter which address people use, everything comes to one inbox. Unfortunately, most of my contacts have my sky.com email, and I realised I hadn’t received any emails for about 4 weeks. I then noticed that my sky.com account was no longer linked to my Gmail.

When I tried to re-add the account, I couldn’t remember my password given how old it is. After troubleshooting, I contacted Sky and was informed that someone had tried to access my account weeks before, failing to log in 7 times, so Sky disabled my account. They assured me I would receive new login details via text within 3 days.

A week passed with no update, so I called Sky again. I was passed around to 5 different people over the course of an hour, each telling me the next person could help. Eventually, I was told I don’t even have a sky.com email address and that they don’t have the power to disable it, so it couldn’t have been them.

I called again and they said they have no recollection of me ever having a sky.com email address.

After a 5th attempt, I was told my sky.com email was linked to my parent's account from when I lived at home, despite having moved out 10 years ago with no issues with my emails until now. The call handler advised he had moved it over to my own sky account but could not help further and that I should contact Yahoo to ask why my emails had been compromised. I've been unable to find a way to contact Yahoo and now when I log into my sky account I find myself in my parent's account with their sky package details. It's such a mess and very frustrating. There will be emails desperately needing my attention. Any advice will be welcome. Thanks

@BenGil unfortunately it's very hard to advise on this, as we can't know what Sky has done, and therefore how to fix it. There's no point contacting Yahoo (typically Sky suggest this when they don't know how to fix an issue). Yahoo can't help and will only refer you back to Sky. I'm afraid you'll have to pursue this with Sky. Hopefully you'll come across a more knowledgeable adviser.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion