Discussion topic: Getting message, ‘cannot get mail. Connection to server failed. When trying to access mail on mobile

This message was authored by F12 This message was authored by: F12

Getting message, ‘cannot get mail. Connection to server failed. When trying to access mail on mobile

Anyone got ideas on how to fix this problem-?  I am getting message 'cannot get mail. Connection to server failed' when trying to access email on my mobile.  It just won't refresh inbox.

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Getting message, ‘cannot get mail. Connection to server failed. When trying to access mail on mo

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Have you just set this account up and it isn't working or has it been previously working and has stopped ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

Re: Getting message, ‘cannot get mail. Connection to server failed. When trying to access mail on mo

Is this on an iOS device? The  problem is well known, but there doesn't seem to be any resolution at this time.

F12
Topic Author

Spoke to Sky tech team and they've given us a work around via Google.  Still trying to sort out original problem but think we'll need to delete and then reload mail app/account to fix it.  Will do that later today once have finished the day job!  Thanks for your help.

Let us know what work around they have given you ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
F12
Topic Author

All they've done is tell us to go on to Google, search for Sky email on the search engine and then login in on there.  It works, but is very much a workaround, not a permanent solution to the problem.  The engineer seemed at a loss when I said what we wanted was to be able to access our email from the Mailbox icon on our phones, but he then suggested that we needed to download Sky email from the My Sky app (which I'll try to do later on).  I think this will just result in us having a duplicate Sky email inbox on our phones (i.e. the current one which has the error message and is only connecting intermittently and a new version which he is suggesting we download via the My Sky app.  I suspect this may cause further problems but will try this when I get a moment.  Will probably try it on just one of our i-phones for now!

I don't think you can access your emails via the MySky app but why not try another app like Outlook instead using these settings:

Select either "Other" or "Not Yahoo" then use these settings:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

Server - imap.tools.sky.com
Port - 993
Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

Server - smtp.tools.sky.com
Port - 465
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires authentication - Yes

You will then need to generate a 16 digit password and use that instead of your usual one, you can do that here:
https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps?client=email

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@F12 as @jayach posted there's a known problem with the Mail app on i-phones etc. which is known to work only intermittently. Until Apple fix it, you might want to use an alternative way to access your Sky Yahoo Mail.

F12
Topic Author

That's great will try that out.  Thanks!

F12
Topic Author

Thanks - good to know it's a known problem and not just us oldies mishandling the technology!  Will try out another way of accessing the email as you suggest.

This message was authored by Peter+Habu This message was authored by: Peter+Habu

Glad to see I'm not alone.  I've struggled receiving emails for much of this year with no advice from Sky other than log on to their website.  It afflicts both my iPad and iPhone (both running latest software) but my iMac is unaffected.  Sometimes hours go by before emails come through.  When the service is not working (more often than working) the message reads 'The Connection to the server failed'.  Periodically, when emails come through they are blank with just a messaging saying something like Unable to download from server.  Very disappointing.

Have you tried the Outlook app on both these devices ?

This message was authored by U411483 This message was authored by: U411483

I have the same problem on iphone but it downloads to my Mac OK

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@U411483 wrote:

I have the same problem on iphone but it downloads to my Mac OK

Most likely for the same reason as previously posted. If it persists, you might want to try a different app.

This message was authored by BrianFM This message was authored by: BrianFM

I've deleted and reloaded my accounts and if anything they are worse! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion