Discussion topic: Deleting email accounts

This message was authored by lbradley This message was authored by: lbradley

Deleting email accounts

I have been trying for 3 years to delete my sky.com email account. I've spoken to Sky and Yahoo who send me back to each other. I've tried leaving the email for months, I think nearly a year, but it's still not deleted. problem is emails still get sent there, even though I've updated my email address since November 2019. I'm so frustrated and upset. It's causing loads of stress as going back 3 years is going back to when my husband died.

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Deleting email accounts

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sorry you're having a problem getting it deleted. Sky do (or did) have a process for removing email accounts, but it appears not to be well understood amonst the service advisers - probably because it's rarely requested.

Is the account receiving emails that should be coming to you? If so, and until the account is deleted, you could set up an 'out of office' reply saying the mailbox is not monitored and giving your correct email address?

lbradley
Topic Author
This message was authored by lbradley This message was authored by: lbradley

I spent 40 minutes on the phone after finding something in the T&Cs for  Sky/ Yahoo emails. Was telling the guy he was breeching the T&C's by not following the instructions I was asking him to and he put the phone down.

Looks like I'm going to be on the phone again tomorrow.

All the stuff about inactive accounts it rubbish, because you can't set a sky.com email address as the contact email on your Sky account, so they would never know if it's not being used.

This message was authored by davy+m This message was authored by: davy+m

Here is my take on it I've got norton 360 on my phone and I received a notification that my email has shown up on the dark web and now I'm getting inappropriate e mails sky told me I should log out of my sky account and email and don't log in for six months and my email will be deleted but after reading this I'm not confident that it's going to get deleted 

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

Thanks for your take on it, however what does it matter if it has been deleted or not?

If you never try to log in, you will never know.

Just ignore it, and get on with life.

This message was authored by lajonesy This message was authored by: lajonesy

My email details are being sold in the Dark Web and I have twice requested that sky email account is deleted.  Sky have not actioned my request, despite explaining in a 40 minute call to Sky. They promised they would delete it!  

There has to be a way to delete an email account, surely?  

@lajonesy wrote:

My email details are being sold in the Dark Web and I have twice requested that sky email account is deleted.  Sky have not actioned my request, despite explaining in a 40 minute call to Sky. They promised they would delete it!  

There has to be a way to delete an email account, surely?  

Only by asking Sky to delete it.  I imagine that the process is not well understood by the advisers.

This message was authored by Shirst1 This message was authored by: Shirst1

I'm experiencing the same.  I was told today by the bereavement team at Sky that the address "cannot" be deleted despite previous customer service advisors saying that once a person cancels all products with Sky they also lose their email address.

It's not good enough and I agree wholeheartedly with the originator of this message

@Shirst1 yes, the address will be deleted automatically after a period of non-use. You CAN ask for it to be deleted manually, but the problem will be finding an adviser who knows how to do it. Their knowledge of any aspect of Sky Yahoo Mail seems to be somewhat limited.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Shirst1 wrote:

I was told today by the bereavement team at Sky that the address "cannot" be deleted

I very much doubt that this team will have to many knowledge of how Sky email works as it can be deleted as previous posts have said but as @Mark39 has said finding someone who knows how to either do this or put through the request to another team is a different matter as those that do know how to do it appear to be pretty slim on the ground.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Barbedwire This message was authored by: Barbedwire

Yes I have been trying for about 2-3 years continually to stop using my Sky account through Yahoo. Wrote to them several times and still today have still found Yahoo lerking in my ipad. Upsets my account system every week.  Why, Why. Why  can someone gets to grips and get it sorted out for once and for all.

This message was authored by Barbedwire This message was authored by: Barbedwire

Why do we need to go through all this because if someone did their job properly years ago we wouldn't be in this constant mess.  Get rid of the account once and for all.   Why should the public have to continually suffer all this waste of time and utter chaos. ????  

@Barbedwire wrote:

Yes I have been trying for about 2-3 years continually to stop using my Sky account through Yahoo. Wrote to them several times and still today have still found Yahoo lerking in my ipad. Upsets my account system every week.  Why, Why. Why  can someone gets to grips and get it sorted out for once and for all.

I don't understand the difficulty. If you want to stop using your Sky email account, just don't log in.

If you don't log in it will automatically be closed in a lot less than 2-3 years.

This message was authored by missguided This message was authored by: missguided

I too have been struggling to delete my Sky email account which is never used, and for security should be deleted. I eventually found somebody at Sky who gave me the solution. Simply visit this webpage below then  login to your sky account and submit the deletion request. https://www.sky.com/help/forms/sky-id-deletion . Leaving your email account dormant is a security risk, that is why myself and many others have been trying to delete them.

@missguided wrote:

Leaving your email account dormant is a security risk, that is why myself and many others have been trying to delete them.

I'm curious as to how leaving your email account dormant would be a security risk.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion