Discussion topic: sky q setup with new full fibre provider

This message was authored by oliverthompson79 This message was authored by: oliverthompson79

sky q setup with new full fibre provider

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this.

I currently have 3 Sky Q miniboxes acting as hotpoints around the house and an ethernet wired minibox in my garden office acting as an access point. All using Sky broadband.

I want to move to full fibre, but it requires switching provider.

IfI change provider and switch off the hotpoints on all the miniboxes ,will it all still work as intended?  Im guessing the sky products will have its own network and I'll have a seperate mesh network for the internet?

I really want full fibre but I'm anxious this will break  my setup, any help is appreciated.

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: sky q setup with new full fibre provider

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@oliverthompson79 

Yes the mini box will still function providing it can talk to your main Sky Q box through whatever cabling/ WiFi you setup 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@oliverthompson79 this link explains how to set up Q with a third party router https://www.sky.com/help/articles/setting-up-sky-q-connect-to-third-party-router

Quickly you link your main Q box using connects using the 2.4GHz wifi band. You loose the ability to connect non Sky devices to the the 5GHz wifi hot spot instead your Q minis connnect to that using wps instead of the Sky hub. You will lose the use of 5GHz the wifi hotspots so you may need to buy a replacement wifi system if your new router does not cover the whole home. The alternative is to use ethernet connections for the Q boxes.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@oliverthompson79 

Keep in mind that if you decide to switch off the hotspotting feature when you get your new provider installed you will lose WiFi access in your garden room as the Q box wont act as a hotspot anymore. You could keep it enabled but you'll need to make sure it doesnt clash with your new providers WiFi mesh system.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
oliverthompson79
Topic Author
This message was authored by oliverthompson79 This message was authored by: oliverthompson79

Yes, understood.

Can I assume the mini box in the garden room will still work though,  even though it is wired from my new router?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@oliverthompson79 

Yes the mini box will still function providing it can talk to your main Sky Q box through whatever cabling/ WiFi you setup 

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion