Discussion topic: sky gigabit router connection to unmanaged switch

This message was authored by loneranger1964 This message was authored by: loneranger1964

sky gigabit router connection to unmanaged switch

Hi, i recently upgraded from vodafone to sky gigafast. My previous network had an unmanaged netgear switch connected to the router, with hikvision security cameras connected to the switch and finally a connection from the switch to a qnap nvr. All worked fine with this setup, and i had the qnap and the cameras assigned with static ip addresses. I could use an app on my phone and an app on my laptop to look at the camera feed.

Since having the gigafast router installed,  I have assigned a static ip to the qnap and i can see this on my browser. HOwever, i now cannot see the camera feeds?

Any ideas please.

All Replies

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

Re: sky gigabit router connection to unmanaged switch

What are the private IP configurations for the router and devices and what is the DHCP range for the Sky router (i.e. have you limited this to exclude the statics you have assigned)?

That is all aspects of that - IP address, Subnet Mask and gateway IP.

Does your DVR have coms to the cameras?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@loneranger1964 check you are using fixed IP addresses in the correct range for Sky Hubs which is 192.169.02 to 192.168.0.254 and you have reserved the ports with the hubs DHCP server. Assuming you are do you need to forward firewall ports to enable the app? These are the instructions for setting up port forwarding https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/How-to-set-up-port-forwarding/ba-p/2662260

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
loneranger1964
Topic Author
This message was authored by loneranger1964 This message was authored by: loneranger1964

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have reserved static ip addresses for the nvr and each of the cameras (i did them consecutively) - all within the dhcp range of the router. I have done this within the address reservation section of the Lan ip setup. When i look at the switch, the cameras are transmitting data into the switch (yello and green led's lit on the port), but the port for the nvr connection to the switch, and the switch to the router port just show a green led. As its an unmanaged switch i cant interrogate it, nor see it on my network map.

loneranger1964
Topic Author

ps - for the gateway ip i have used the hub's ip, 192.168.0.2

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

The hub's address isn't 192.168.0.2, its 192.168.0.1 and that's what you should be setting for gateway and DNS on the devices you've set to static IPs.

Edit - the hub's DHCP range starts at 192.168.0.2 which may be what is confusing you?

loneranger1964
Topic Author

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, i've used static ip's within the range of the router - reserved in the address reservation section. I have looked at the port forwarding, and the security bit requires information i do not know what to add - the start and end port number?

loneranger1964
Topic Author

apologies - i meant to type 192.168.0.1 😎

You haven't mentioned your subnet masks for the static devices.

loneranger1964
Topic Author

hi, the subnet masks i believe are 255.255.255.0

Can you ping the cameras from your laptop?

How do the cameras know the address of the QNAP?

loneranger1964
Topic Author

Unfortunately not, even if I run an ip scan they don't come up. The laptop through the hub found the qnap box, after assigning it an ip address through dhcp (which I then reserved as a static ip) but no cameras?

@loneranger1964 wrote:

Unfortunately not, even if I run an ip scan they don't come up. The laptop through the hub found the qnap box, after assigning it an ip address through dhcp (which I then reserved as a static ip) but no cameras?

Do you know if the private address range (subnet) is different on Sky from Vodafone?
It could be that the cameras are still configured for your old addresses.

Normally if the cameras are set to DHCP they would pick up new IP addresses when powered on with the new router (Sky) in place.

However, did you say you had assigned static addresses (when you were on Vodafone)?

Can you reset them so they use DHCP again?

Just a follow up to that last post.

It seems that Vodafone routers may use the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet.

Can you remember what static ip addresses you assigned to the cameras?

If they are in that range, one way to access them is to assign a static IP to your laptop (using 192.168.2.1 - the Vodafone gateway address) but set the subnet mask on the PC to 255.255.0.0 (rather than 255.255.255.0).

This causes the laptop to think that your local subnet is from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.255.254 which should include the cameras.

This is a temporary solution to allow you to reconfigure the static IPs on the cameras.

Once you have done that you can switch your laptop back to DHCP.

loneranger1964
Topic Author

Hi, yes - i had assigned them static ip's through the voda router. I have tried downloading the camera software to get at them that way, but even though that software recognises they are there - it is still showing them with their old ip's. Unfortunately, that piece of software (SADP) requires you to request a password fom them (in China) to enable you to access and change the settings of each camera.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion