Discussion topic: poor broadband

This message was authored by Neil1234 This message was authored by: Neil1234

poor broadband

For a few weeks now by  900m broadband (roughly 400m wifi) has been dropping to around 90m(wifi), when i reboot the router im back to full speed, but every single night it drops back  to 90. Not only does this happen every night the router drops the broadband a few times, it seems until the 90m speed is reached. i  have been testing the speed using speedtest.net

Whats really annoying is my contract has run out and im paying full price for everything, is this what happens when you pay full price for super fast fibre??? i can feel a call to virgin!!!!

Just to clarify, if i reboot the router i get full speed during the day and evening sometime after midnight the router loses at least 2 green lights for 30 secs or so then goes back online....sometime full speed, but seems to do this for a few times until its 90m and becomes stable.

thanks Neil

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: poor broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Neil1234 assume you mean you have a Gigabit full fibre connection which delivers 900Mb/s over Ethernet and 400Mb/s over WiFi is that correct?

First point with anyISP you are not guaranteed to get full speed 24/7 as you share bandwidth with other users. With Openreach full fibre GPON set up up to 32 customers share a download capacity of 2.48Gb/s statistically contention issues are quite rare as in practice very few users ever use even 10% of the bandwidth they buy for extended periods. Virgin systems are similarly contended. To get a Gigabit uncontended conection would cost an  awful lot more.

A blip after midnight can be due to housekeeping activity but it should not reduce throughput by 90%.  When you are running spedtests is that over a direct ethernet connection or over wifi? 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Neil1234
Topic Author
This message was authored by Neil1234 This message was authored by: Neil1234

i always use speedtest.net over wifi....your point of sharing the bandwidth with other consumers is valid...except it only happens late night/very early hours of the morning typically 1-2am.

if i leave it at 90m it wont reboot, only reboots if i reset to 900m/400m   ethernet/wifi

thank you

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Neil1234 

It would be useful to know if the speed drop also occurs on an ethernet connected device as we can then tell if its an issue with the Sky connection or your local router/WiFi conditions.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion