Discussion topic: openreach not taken down copper cable and used old ceramic connector

This message was authored by s.copplestone This message was authored by: s.copplestone

openreach not taken down copper cable and used old ceramic connector

Fibre installed about 18 months ago  When I queried with the Openreach installer why copper phone line not removed, he told me a team will come later to do this

No-one has removed it  Last week an Openreach Guy was installing next door and I asked him about this

He said when fibre is installed the old copper line should be taken doen by the installer  Standard practice

He also noted that the fibre was connected outside my house to the old ceramic style phone line bracket  This was incorrect he said. Anew style fibre connector shopuld have been used

Blocked by computer help links and cannot get a person to discuss this with

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: openreach not taken down copper cable and used old ceramic connector

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@s.copplestone 

I suspect there's no definitive policy on removing copper after FTTP installation: it certainly hasn't happened here, and would be hugely uneconomical to carry out.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@s.copplestone 

It would not be cost effective for openreach to remove all copper wires from all houses. Therefore the copper remains in situ

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@s.copplestone 

It's also quite possible that local policy has changed in the interval between your installation and your neighbours.

s.copplestone
Topic Author
This message was authored by s.copplestone This message was authored by: s.copplestone

openreach guy told me it part of fibre install to remove copper   They have a skip in the yard to put old copper in

Also using old ceramic connector was a problem he said   

@s.copplestone wrote:

openreach guy told me it part of fibre install to remove copper   They have a skip in the yard to put old copper in

As I said, that might be the case now but wasn't when your fibre went up.  It's almost certainly not worth doing so retrospectively; there's negligible value in a single copper phone pair once the cost of plastic removal is accounted for.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion