Discussion topic: Xbox Microsoft Rewards asking to update console location, cannot access but works on mobile data

This message was authored by BaconUK This message was authored by: BaconUK

Xbox Microsoft Rewards asking to update console location, cannot access but works on mobile data

Hi! The Microsoft Rewards app on Xbox, PC and the Xbox app don't work when using my sky q network. The Xbox continually asks to update console location even though both my console and Microsoft accounts are set to UK. the Xbox app also does not show any rewards and my pc won't let me redeem rewards. 

However, if I connect via a mobile hotspot, mobile data or on another network (I tried where I work) everything works fine! This suggests that it's something to do with the ISP? 

Has anyone else had this issue? I've looked around on Reddit and Google and it seems I'm not alone!

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Xbox Microsoft Rewards asking to update console location, cannot access but works on mobile data

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BaconUK there is a shortage of IP4 addresses and recently Sky UK have been using a batch from their Italian operation this can cause issues with geo-fenced applications. You can check whst your current IP4 address reports by clicking here https://tools.keycdn.com/geo 

Powering down your hub for 10 to 15 minutes usually forces a change of IP addres which should come up as UK. The issue is normally short lived as the internet catches up with the change.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Xbox Microsoft Rewards asking to update console location, cannot access but works on mobile data

@BaconUKHave you re-started your router since this has happened?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
BaconUK
Topic Author

Hi Highlinder,

Thanks for the response, yes I've restarted the router and factory reset my Xbox. I've also tried changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 which was suggested by Microsoft but it didn't work. 

As a workaround they suggested placing my phone, xbox and PC into a DMZ zone and forward a load of ports but it seemed too drastic just for one app (although I like earning reward points!)

The rewards app does work when connected to a mobile hotspot (either on PC, mobile and console). It's also effecting my wife's mobile app and Xbox so hopefully I have ruled out a specific device. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@BaconUK there is a shortage of IP4 addresses and recently Sky UK have been using a batch from their Italian operation this can cause issues with geo-fenced applications. You can check whst your current IP4 address reports by clicking here https://tools.keycdn.com/geo 

Powering down your hub for 10 to 15 minutes usually forces a change of IP addres which should come up as UK. The issue is normally short lived as the internet catches up with the change.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
BaconUK
Topic Author

Hi @Chrisee ,

Thanks for the reply! Interesting! So I checked my IPv4 address and even though it looks like it's located in the UK, I noticed the ISP organisation name is Sky Italia. As a test, I changed the location of my Xbox to Italy, restarted and it worked! (My Italian isn't great however lol) 

At least I know what the issue is. If I contact Sky, can I request which IPv4 address location I get or is it pot luck which one you get? I've restarted my router again, the IPv4 address has updated but ISP organisation name is still Sky Italia. (I waited a good 20 minutes before turning it back on again to be sure 🙂

Thanks again for your help   

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@BaconUK pot luck I afraid. The addresses should be updated fairly soon. 🤞

BaconUK
Topic Author

Thanks @Chrisee 

I'll give the router another restart next month and see what I get! 

Thanks again for your help, saved me a lot of time factory resetting and troubleshooting 🙂

This message was authored by ryane This message was authored by: ryane

BaconUK
Topic Author

Hi @ryane 

Just a little update (will likely not help but just from my experience with this issue)

I now have a UK IP address and have remained on a UK address since I restarted my router 18th September. 

I assumed Sky sorted it out their end (I didn't need to contact them, only a restart of the router but I did leave the router off for a good half an hour or so)

Hope you get it sorted! I appreciate how frustrating this is 🙂 

This message was authored by ryane This message was authored by: ryane

It is rather! Mine sorted itself for about a month or so and now I'm back in Italy again. 

BaconUK
Topic Author

Back in Italy again! Internet connections seems really intermittent at the moment,  last week it was dropping out every other day or so. I did try restarting the router,  wait 10 minutes and turn it back on again, I had a UK address for a while but it's gone again. Does sky still have an IP shortage or is there anything else I can try?

BaconUK
Topic Author

Still battling with Italian IP addresses! Have been stuck with one for two weeks now (whatismyip is reporting organisation as Sky Itlalia). Tried restarting the router for 30 mins a few times but cannot get a UK one.

Just doing another test now, I've recorded what my IP address is, I'll check if I'm getting a new one once it's back on in 30 mins or so. 

I'll report my findings soon!

Thanks

BaconUK
Topic Author

Back online now (after 40 mins), still in Sky Italia with exactly the same IP address. Does resetting the router no longer release the IP? 

Surely Sky can give the 0.001% of it's customers who have figured out what the issue is a static UK IP? I wonder how many users, depending on usage either don't even notice (which is perfectly fine) or are scratching their heads wondering why stuff simply doesn't work, times out, can't connect or if your really lucky (but most likely not) even get a clue like, "wrong region".

Sky support is polite and helpfull as they can be, but the reality is they have no real control on what IP you get, just turn it off, wait ... turn it back on again, see what you get. They have sent a new router which of course has the same problem as the old one as it's not the router that's the problem. 

At least give the routers support for static IP's, VPN's? Like I have no options at this point (with Sky as my ISP of course).

Apologies, I'm just a little frustrated. 1st world problems Im sure but Xbox's are constantly reporting wrong region, my cameras keep sending me notifications when I'm at home because apparently, I'm not at home. Lots of weirld little bugs on sites and online games. Playing game pass games on PC I get a notification every 10 mins, "Woohoo! You've earned points" but cannot redeem (wrong region) so it keeps popping up again and again and again ... When I'm on a UK IP all these issues dissapear. In fact I can tell as soon as I'm back in Italy within a few minutes! 

Ok rant over lol! Any suggestions would be most welcome! 🙂

Many Thanks 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@BaconUK wrote:

Back online now (after 40 mins), still in Sky Italia with exactly the same IP address. Does resetting the router no longer release the IP? 

Are you on FTTC or FTTP?  I've been speculating that addresses assigned on FTTP connections are 'stickier'

Surely Sky can give the 0.001% of it's customers who have figured out what the issue is a static UK IP?

Almost certainly no mechanism to do so on a non-business Sky broadband service.

At least give the routers support for static IP's, VPN's? Like I have no options at this point (with Sky as my ISP of course).

Not with the current router hardware, I suspect

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
BaconUK
Topic Author

Hi @TimmyBGood 

The line comes in via a standard phone line so I assume it's FTTC, 150mbps download. 

Thanks for the info, I'll try turning the router off overnight and see if I get a new IP

I'll update this post after some more testing! 

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion