Discussion topic: Wifi Max user review

This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia

Re: Wifi Max user review

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Everyone

We welcome healthy debate from all angles, however can we be mindful of the Community Guidelines please and be nice to each other.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by AlphaRomero This message was authored by: AlphaRomero

Can anyone please tell me how the child control works? The current broadband shield is useless, it lets the kids still use things like Roblox when I'm asleep and blocking roblox.com accomplishes nothing, they're potentially using VPNs. I believe this new router lets you block hte device? But is that something available from the app and does it work or do I have to install software on their devices which is hard work? This would be the main reason I want it as I want an easier way to make sure they have to sleep that doesn't involve me removing all plugs every night.

Chrisee
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AlphaRomero if you buy the Wifi Max package Sky add a parental control option to the My Sky app where you can set schedules etc for any device connected to the Wifi Max hub. More here https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-wifi-max-parental-controls

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@AlphaRomero wrote:

I believe this new router lets you block hte device? But is that something available from the app and does it work or do I have to install software on their devices which is hard work? 

Device blocking is applied at the router level but administered in the My Sky app: there's no software installation on the client devices themselves.  As @Chrisee indicates this does require monthly subscription to the WiFi Max supplement on top of the broadband cost rather than just possession of a Max Hub.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by AlphaRomero This message was authored by: AlphaRomero

Restricting the ability to block access to devices on your own network to a subscription is pretty underhanded by Sky, but from both your responses it seems like this would be the solution to my problems.

Thanks

Chrisee
Topic Author

@AlphaRomero adding extra features in add-on packages is standard practice in most every industry.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Shinyhair This message was authored by: Shinyhair

Those pods mean wifi extenders or mesh networks https://www.tp-link.com/ph/home-networking/range-extender/ . which are used to extend the range of your WiFi..If you have large homes or areas in your house with very poor connections, wifi extenders are helpful.

Chrisee
Topic Author

@Shinyhair using third party extenders can cause interference issues with the Sky hub while the pods Sky supply wont and usexa third closed band to connect. If you want to use third party WiFi then buy a system like TP-Links Deco or Netgear's Orbi which do create a mesh network and connect them to the hub by ethernet configured in Access Point mode and turn off the Sky hub's wif which is how my own network normally operates.

This message was authored by Chasloyal This message was authored by: Chasloyal

@AlphaRomero donating the kids to a charity of your choice is a great option, you won't go far wrong taking that route 😀 

LG OLED evo C3 77, Sky Q 2TB, EE Full Fibre 500, EE Smart Hub Plus, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch OLED Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Edition, PS4 Pro 500 Million Edition, Sonos Arc, Two Sonos Subs Gen 3, Two Sonos Era 300s.
This message was authored by greg_away This message was authored by: greg_away

So if I order it, will Sky provide me with a Max Hub, even though I have a Sky Q box with one mini-box and Sky Superfast Broadband at the moment? Will there be compatibility issues?

This message was authored by MarkAPhilpot This message was authored by: MarkAPhilpot

I'm wondering the same. Just placed an order for WiFi max gigafast but have the sky Q box. Is the general consensus that this won't work over WiFi due to the Q not having WiFi 6. 
would like to be well informed so I can call Sky to discuss my options. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion