Discussion topic: WiFi

This message was authored by Rod4 This message was authored by: Rod4

WiFi

My WiFi keeps buffering any idea how to stop it I don't have sky box just fire stick I'm on super fast broadband  and it's still buffing been I. Touch wiv sky they said they isn't anything wrong  but there must be If it keeps buffering even have a booster box for the kids TVs upstairs and there buffers 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: WiFi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rod4 streaming video over wifi requires both sufficent bandwidth (10Mb/s for HD or 25Mb/s for UHD) but also low jitter. Jitter is the measure of regularity of the signal as if a data packet doesnt arrive in order the app has  wait for it to be resent.

Few suggestions before spending money first is to make sure the device and the hub are out in the open so the signal is not blocked by furniture. Fire Sticks are a particular problem especially if the TV is wall mounted as the TV will block a lot of the signal as it contains metal. You can get short HDMI extenders moving the stick from behind the set which can help. Second is to restart your hub as it will then find the least congested wifi channel as a neighbour's wifi on the same or adjacent channel can cause interference.

However as many forum members have found a single Sky hub is not up to providing a fast and stable wifi signal required for streaming in every room in many homes. You can buy any number of whole home wifi solutions my own  a set of 3Deco M4 units cost around £100 and gives rock steady UHD streaming. Alternatively you could buy Sky's own alternative https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-wifi-max losds of choice.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: WiFi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rod4 

Where are you streaming content from on the firestick thats buffering? Sometimes it can be particular services that have issues.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion