Discussion topic: WiFi signal is poor

This message was authored by Gavin26 This message was authored by: Gavin26

WiFi signal is poor

I have a 5 bedroom house and a booster but it doesn't extend to all rooms in the house as we can't always get a good wifi signal 

how do I obtain another wifi booster?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: WiFi signal is poor

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gavin26 while simple boosters can help having multiple ones in a single home is not ideal as each booster halves the bsndwidth devices can access so iff 2 are dasy chained the furthest booster can only supply roughly a quarter of the speed.

These days there are far better alternatives which created a wifi mesh in your home. Sky market their own version called Wifi Max which codts an additional £7.50 a month and provides a modern router and up to 3 extenders if a broadband engineer agrees you need them.

Alternatively you can buy a third party kit which can be cheaper in the long run. These are quite easy to set up in what is known as Access Point mode they connect to the Sky hub by ethernet after turning off the hub's own wifi. You place the satellite units to optimise coverage using the systems app. My own system gives me 200Mb/s in every room of my 3 level home for an outlay of £100 but each home is different. Loads of choice at verious price points but units from TP-Link and Netgear are popular.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion