Discussion topic: WiFi does not have a valid IP configuration

This message was authored by davethebb This message was authored by: davethebb

WiFi does not have a valid IP configuration

Over the last week to 10 days, we have been having problems connecting via WiFi to our SKY router. The connection via ethernet is fine but we have two Lenovo laptops, two iPhones, and 1 IPAD that keep on dropping the wifi signal which for a number of years has been working perfectly. When I look via the laptop I find the above message. I can reset the router and this seems to reset to Wifi for a while but it drops after a few hours. Can anyone give me some advice or direction on what the problem can be e.g. is it a faulty router and should I contact Sky by phone?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: WiFi does not have a valid IP configuration

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@davethebb wifi is affected by interference so if you have another wireless  device near the hub move it a few feet away. As an example I reconfigured my own network yesterday I got far lower speeds than I expected but I moved the base station for my cordless phone a foot or so and immeadiatly got the full 500Mb/s I was expecting. 

Interference can also come from neighbours' networks here the only thing you can do is to rdboot the hub which should choose the best channel for yourcarea. You can download a wifi analyzer app on a phone which will list all wifi networks in range with thecsignal strength abd channel. Two signals on the same or adjacent channels will interfere if the signal is strong enough. 

Lastly consider if you need more signal than you r hub provides in which casectherecis a wide range of systems youbcan buy. However before splashing out do check by posting if thecsystem you want is compatable with yourcSky service as not all are.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
davethebb
Topic Author
This message was authored by davethebb This message was authored by: davethebb

Re: WiFi does not have a valid IP configuration

Chrisee, Thanks. The WiFi signal is actually fine. It seems that the router is not allocating/renewing the IP address with Wifi. I have checked the wifi channel via an app on my phone and this is good - we only have one neighbor and they are a good 50mts away from the house anyway. It seems global as it is affecting all laptops and iPhones etc. I reset the router last night again just before posting and all seems OK for the time being.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion