Discussion topic: WiFi Max

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: WiFi Max

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chimpishuk 

That sounds like the skys equivalent of plumes homepass cloud based optimisation

https://www.plume.com/serviceproviders/platform/homepass/

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Chimpishuk Sky very rarely release technical details on their routers we get little titbits as issues arise but you have listed anything official. We do know  the new hub is almost certainly based on the units Comcast  use in the US which also use the Plume wifi mesh pods as extenders. The US units support wifi6e but that does not appear to have been included unless it is simply not yet enabled. The main change over previous hubs is control is via the My Sky ap rather than through the web interface which enables more services and better diagnostics.

I also placed an order myself this morning and have received confirmation of shipping so I will know more when I have my hands on one.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Chimpishuk This message was authored by: Chimpishuk

@Chrisee 

Thanks, the consumer applications for this product are pretty amazing.  However the commercial applications seem pretty damn scary to me.  I  double/triple VPN up and use TOR for anything that requires extra security.  Aside from that I'm pretty excited to try this out, I don't care what Sky think about my Amazon or Waitrose orders.  I even paid the extra £9.99 from DPD to upgrade to VIP my package for delivery from 9-12 tomorrow.  I think I'll probably end up needing two of the pods.  But the sale rep at Sky said they will only send them out one at a time.  They remain the property of Sky but you can guarantee some halfwit will be selling these on ebay/Facebook market before you know it.  I've already seen someone attempting to sell the Sky Protect door bell for £100 on ebay.  It's pretty useless without the charm and the app.  Not to mention you can only have one door bell per system (confirmed with Sky) and any faulty ones have to sent back.  

I actually have additional motion sensors and door/window sensors, stickers and the system does support a secondary internal cam 🙂  I didn't do anything dodgy to to achieve this either.  I'm considering water proofing one of my internal cameras using various items available from B&Q.  

Anyway, I digress.  The commercial aspect of the router/plume seems to be an advertisers and police officers wet dream.  Itemising the types and frequency of websites visited and logged for a period of 12 months by law.  Your data probably sold on several times.  I wonder if they'll packet shape for data they can't read the headers of.  I'm sure it'll also be used my sky based upon your watching and browsing habits.  I'm pretty sure sky are up to that anyways. 

SKY Gigafast | SKY Router SR203 | Sky WiFi Booster 4 | SKY Stream | SKY Stream Puck x3 | SKY Protect Insurance | SKY Protect Indoor Camera X2 | SKY Protect Motion Sensor X3 | Sky Protect Contact Sensors X6 | SKY Environment Sensors X3 | TV LG C2 65 OLED | TV Samsung 43 QLED | TV Philips 65 LED Android TV with integrated Hue | Google NEST Paired Speakers (Room filling) | Google NEST External Camera x2 with anti-theft | Google NEST Thermostat GEN v3 X2 | Google NEST Hub GEN v2 X2 Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Hub Max Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Doorbell | Google NEST Aware Plus | Google Pixel v7 Pro | Google One Subscription | Philips Hue Bridge | Philips Hue White & Colour Ambience bulbs various locations | Philips Hue Switches X4 | Philips Hue Light Strips X 2 | Philips Hue Signe Gradient Table Lamp X2 | Apple iPad Pro M2 | Apple Mac Mini M1 | Apple Macbook Air M2 | XBOX Series X | PS5 | Switch OLED | CAT6 Cabling throughout. | FTTP openreach | Virgin Cable to the door | Whippet puppy x 1.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chimpishuk wrote:

I'm sure it'll also be used my sky based upon your watching and browsing habits.  I'm pretty sure sky are up to that anyways. 

The Sky declaration of data gathering and use is here:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-privacy-and-cookies-notice 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@Chimpishuk you can set your data permissions in the My Sky app and they will be respected but of course some services might not work as well. In my personal and as it happens professional experience is large corporations respect data protection as the penalities both financial and reputational for not doing so is great cf Coutts Bank v N Farage😀  

Sky are quite open that this is a consumer unit and is heavily locked down. Hope it works for you and I too expect to need the pods. VPNs should not be an issue but some people are going to find the unit restricting. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Chimpishuk This message was authored by: Chimpishuk

@Chrisee  Sadly I can achieve very little in the MySky app as once again Sky incorrectly reports an outstanding broadband balance.  I have confirmed sinced I switched to a split bill system, not by choice I might add, that the Sky App and website continiously report a false a positive owing them money for my broadband.  When I enter the app it will inform me I have an outstanding balance which is overdue and this severely limits the use of the app and Sky Go.  I visit sky.com, where I am still seeing the same demand for payment (I thought that this was fixed)  Once I'm within the billing section it shows a zero outstanding balance on either payment.  I've confirmed this with my bank and even with Sky and still nothing is done about it.  As an experiment I paid the incorrect balance and found that the upcoming payment was taken and then again on the actual due date.  Leaving me in credit.  If I'm expected to manage this new fangled router via the browser or the app this will need to be resolved quickly.  Alternatively I hope the device maintains a web ip based method of amending configuration.  I will ring sky (again) now and insist on an internal reference.  I may push for some form of compensation for the inconvenience. 

SKY Gigafast | SKY Router SR203 | Sky WiFi Booster 4 | SKY Stream | SKY Stream Puck x3 | SKY Protect Insurance | SKY Protect Indoor Camera X2 | SKY Protect Motion Sensor X3 | Sky Protect Contact Sensors X6 | SKY Environment Sensors X3 | TV LG C2 65 OLED | TV Samsung 43 QLED | TV Philips 65 LED Android TV with integrated Hue | Google NEST Paired Speakers (Room filling) | Google NEST External Camera x2 with anti-theft | Google NEST Thermostat GEN v3 X2 | Google NEST Hub GEN v2 X2 Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Hub Max Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Doorbell | Google NEST Aware Plus | Google Pixel v7 Pro | Google One Subscription | Philips Hue Bridge | Philips Hue White & Colour Ambience bulbs various locations | Philips Hue Switches X4 | Philips Hue Light Strips X 2 | Philips Hue Signe Gradient Table Lamp X2 | Apple iPad Pro M2 | Apple Mac Mini M1 | Apple Macbook Air M2 | XBOX Series X | PS5 | Switch OLED | CAT6 Cabling throughout. | FTTP openreach | Virgin Cable to the door | Whippet puppy x 1.

@Chimpishuk if a direct debit is in place making a manual payment will normaly not stop  it. DD payments are set up over 2 weeks before the due date this is a regular issue we answer in the billing forum

I will escalate your post to the Community Messaging team who support the forum and are experts in Sky's accounting system so maybe able to help - they should invite you onto a private chat through the forum where a chat icon will appear. 

@Chrisee 

I do not use direct debit.  I use debit card payment.  On or after 1st of the month for both payments.

The card payments are taken automatically since moving to Sky Stream.  Prior to that I manually paid the single cost via debit card.  

Really appreciate you help. 

Only other thing I can think that it is, is Lionsgate. I can't cancel from the stream menu or from the Lionsgate website. Sky are unable to cancel it either.

I give up!

After reading this thread in full I'm beginning to regret ordering the damn thing.

Any idea what the default admin u/n and p/w is the for the web management of these new routers is?

Ignore previous message.

I like the new router and the WiFi speeds.  I did various tests yesterday and I'm definitely seeing much improvement of a number of WiFi six devices.

The Sky Q range extender definitely doesn't work. I found it actually caused issues with the initial setup. The worst signal is in my office where the old Q signal booster was plugged in I'd like to order one pod. Don't think I need anymore than that.  Having said that most stuff is hardwired in the office. There was a wait time of 25 mins to speak to a dedicated support team this morning. Over all thus far it's going well. I don't like using the app to setup simple things like changing SSID and removing the functionality to do it from the webpage. Dumbed down doesn't cover it.

So this thing just randomly changes admin creds. And SSID.

@Chimpishuk Sky Q kit is currently incompatable with the Wifi Max system which is why Sky decline to sell one where customers have Sky Q. It is something we are told will be fixed. Once you get through to Sky they will supply a pod extender - I have one on its way to me. 

You are supposed to control the unit via the app the web interface is supplementary this matches most of the competition and it simplifies support. Getting people to type ip addresses and long passwords is rather antiquated.

I did warn you its a consumer unit and is locked down hard.. 

Being locked down is all well and good.  So long as it's reliable.  This thing has reset it's SSID twice today.  

I rang earlier to order a "pod" but it doesn't appear under my current orders.  

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion