Discussion topic: Wi-Fi 6 Router for Sky Fibre

Paul+Barton
Topic Author
This message was authored by Paul+Barton This message was authored by: Paul+Barton

Re: Wi-Fi 6 Router for Sky Fibre

Yes agree I have the twin pack and it's great for coverage and speed.

This message was authored by tcp2015 This message was authored by: tcp2015

Sorry if this is answered - I am looking for a router that stands alone and doesn't need the sky router in bridge or Wi-Fi off mode. Just Wi-Fi 6 router plugged in to the ont Fttp. 

any suggestions on good routers? £400 max I guess.

ideally looking for plug and play or plug and play post firmware update.

looking at BT as it seems more open and easier to attach third party routers but would prefer sky to keep the TV package. But the current wifi signal with wfh on two laptops isn't working.

Paul+Barton
Topic Author
This message was authored by Paul+Barton This message was authored by: Paul+Barton

I use 2 ASUS Xt8 routers, I purchased a twin pack from Amazon and the results are excellent. I have great coverage around my home with fast speeds even on Wi-Fi devices.

Hope this helps.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@tcp2015 most third party routers as opposed to home wifi solutions can be connected to a Sky FTTP services by simply connecting to the ONT. Sky use a different system to suthenticate which is DHCPv4 Option 61 with a standard string,  most connections can be authenticated using DHCPv6 PD with no string.

There are a number of wlk throughs on the forum for particular models if you search but Asus units seem popular. You will lose the landline facility Sky hubs provide if you use a third party router. The other option is to use a wifi6 access point solution behind the hub.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by tangoed This message was authored by: tangoed

Picked up the Asus rt ax58u from Ebuyer. 

Bit of a learning curev to update the firmware and seeing where to find the options on the Asus menu.. Required direct connection from MacBook after downloading the firmware locally.  Then easy to configure.

The Sky Q box connected to Asus at first but seemed to loose connection so have had to reconnect a coupe of times.

Overall much faster on Wi FI. The better the device the higher the speed. For exampe in the same location: iPhone 12 350Meg, iPad Pro 300Meg and 5 year old MacBook Pro 200meg.

Sky fibre at 500 Meg - ASUS router.

Would love if someone could share a Wi-Fi 6 router that can plug straight in to the ont and the details to do so. Way too many threads to go searching. It's a minefield.

£250 router plus details on how to setup would be wonderful and I will rebook with sky tomorrow :), not that it affects you guys but fed up of the secrecy for using third party routers when they don't offer wifi6

This message was authored by MUFFINTAST1C This message was authored by: MUFFINTAST1C

@tcp2015 wrote:

Would love if someone could share a Wi-Fi 6 router that can plug straight in to the ont and the details to do so. Way too many threads to go searching. It's a minefield.

£250 router plus details on how to setup would be wonderful and I will rebook with sky tomorrow :), not that it affects you guys but fed up of the secrecy for using third party routers when they don't offer wifi6

@tcp2015 

I would go with Asus RT-AX86U

Replace the OG firmware with Merlin's, it's a spin on the OG Asus firwmare but more stable and more customisable.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@tcp2015 there is no secrecy the details on how to connect are well known and are frequently posted but perhaps it needs some effort from yourself? A quick search found me this thread which has a list of suitable Asus models at various price points and although the OP chose a more expensive model in the end, the RT-AX86U seems to meet your requirement. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

I asked the sameish question last week. Picked up the Asus router. - They all seem pretty good. Asus RT-AX86U looks perfect, it depends a little on budget and size of property. Hardest point was learning the new Router OS, if you have not used Asus before. After that it is easy, as they say plug and play.

Does require some router knowledge and experience beneficial. 

No secrets at all. Plenty of discussions here. 

Many thanks all.

Will give the ASUs a go. Hopefully simple enough managed to get a tp link to work beforehand stand-alone.

Now just to negotiate with sky for a good deal!

Hi All,

I've looked for details on connecting asus rt-ax86u to sky - openreach fttp. But can't find any details, perhaps i am just bad at searching but there's varied information. 

Do i require a modem to plug inbetween the router, seen mention of a Vigor 166, i thought the open reach wall was the modem so just need to ensure that I had a router with option 61, which the router above has once you add the merlin firmware?

If someone could confirm all i need is the router so long as i have the fttp (straight to house fibre) with open reach modem and firmware then i am good to go. Sorry, its a large ammount of money so just wanted to be sure.

If you have the open reach fibre connection with an Ethernet cable than you are all set with the ASUS router. no need to change the router firmware, on mine the correct connection type was available. Then place the Sky router in the waste.

go for it.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@tangoed wrote:

Then place the Sky router in the waste.

Don't do that: it's on loan from Sky and they charge for non-return if the broadband subscription is ended.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Good point. Put Sky route rin safe place...

This message was authored by Kenny+Rankin This message was authored by: Kenny+Rankin

ISPreview are reporting that Sky will launch a wifi6 router in 3Q or 4Q 2023.

No details on spec but perhaps good news for those subscribing to Full Fibre speeds that the current router can't deliver ?

—————————————————————————————————-Sky Stream, Sky Gigafast Broadband with SR203 Hub

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion