Discussion topic: Why do Sky not want my custom?

This message was authored by Jimbobery This message was authored by: Jimbobery

Why do Sky not want my custom?

I have been trying for over 24 hours to chat to someone on the online chat but to no avail.  I managed - by some miracle, it would appear - to chat to someone on Monday who told me what speed broadband I can get with Sky at my home.  He stated I could get the £30/140Mb/s broadband.  However, all other providers (and sellers of Sky broadband) state I can only get the 60+Mb/s.  Now I can't chat to someone to see who is right.  

Why do Sky not have a queueing system, enabling people to stay in the queue and informing them of their place and approximate time it would take to deal with them.  As the chat is my chosen method of contact, the fact it is such a chore to chat to someone is making me think would it be worth the hassle should I have an issue with the service at any point.  If Sky don't want people to contact them via the chat then don't provide the option.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Why do Sky not want my custom?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jimbobery wrote:

He stated I could get the £30/140Mb/s broadband.  However, all other providers (and sellers of Sky broadband) state I can only get the 60+Mb/s. 

140Mbs would require G.fast or FTTP.  60Mbs is typical for FTTC.

The BT Wholesale Availability Checker will indicate what's potentially available at your address over the Openreach network: remove any personal information if you post its output here.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/ 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Jimbobery
Topic Author

Thanks.  My issue was with Sky not being able to contact Sky.  I did get this from that link you provided - thank you - but have no idea what it means!

BB SPEEDS.jpg 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jimbobery 

Could you also post the lower part of the output?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Jimbobery 

Sky are saying they can supply 150 Mbps g.fast fibre to the cabinet as the status is green

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Jimbobery 

Sky are saying they can supply 150 Mbps g.fast fibre to the cabinet as the status is green

And some other ISPs have ceased offering G.fast entirely (if they ever did) which would account for the lower quoted speeds.

Jimbobery
Topic Author

BB SPEEDS 2.jpg

Does this help?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Jimbobery 

Call sky as below

150 from a sky landline  or

Contact sky as below

Follow the link and choose need more help

https://www.sky.com/help/home/

If in the Republic of Ireland go to the bottom of the page and change the flag to Republic of Ireland

Answer no to every question until asked about the nature of your enquiry then say something like "broadband sales" and ask for the 150 Mbps g.fast option if thats what you want . However you should also get close to 80 Mbps ordinary sky super fast fttc

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Jimbobery
Topic Author

Cheers.  Still doesn't explain why they have an unusable chat service.  I'll ring them and ask them the question.

Thanks @cookiemonsteruk and @TimmyBGood 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Jimbobery sky's chat function is only available for certain transactions and buying Broadband is not one of them currently unfirtunately and it is operated by a very small team. I was told last week that there are plans to change that at some point.

Word of warning the G.Fast service you will be buying is a bit of a dead end. Oprnreach have switched to only running out fibre to the premises stopping the G.Fast roll out. If you buy a G.Fast service from Sky you will be held to a 18 month contract even if you road has full fibre run in the meantime which offers Gigabit speeds. This is perhaps why some ISPs have stopped selling G.Fast?

The service over a copper line at G.Fast speeds is easily disrupted by interference and we have seen various reports of issues. While you can use your own equipment the modems for G.Fast are not common so most users stick with the Sky SR204 hub which has one built-in.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion