Discussion topic: Why do I need an engineer visit when I already have an open reach box

This message was authored by TomRobbo12 This message was authored by: TomRobbo12

Why do I need an engineer visit when I already have an open reach box

Why do I need an open reach engineer to install my router when I already have an open reach box? They said they will need to drill holes but my landlord has not allowed any drilling whatsoever. Why can't I use the current open reach box inside my flat?

All Replies

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Why do I need an engineer visit when I already have an open reach box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TomRobbo12 wrote:

Why do I need an open reach engineer to install my router when I already have an open reach box? They said they will need to drill holes but my landlord has not allowed any drilling whatsoever. Why can't I use the current open reach box inside my flat?

@TomRobbo12 do ypu know what broadband package you have ordered is it superfast, ultrafast or gigafast ?

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TomRobbo12 wrote:

Why can't I use the current open reach box inside my flat?

Is that an ONT (power supply and LEDs) or a passive wall socket?

If provisioning over FTTP is planned, that requires an ONT and almost inevitable drilling.

Putting the address into the BT Wholesale Availability Checker should indicate which provisioning type is applicable.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

It's the table and the two text lines below it which are most useful.

Remove any personal information (such as the address itself) if you post an image.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
TomRobbo12
Topic Author
This message was authored by TomRobbo12 This message was authored by: TomRobbo12

Ultrafast

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@TomRobbo12 

The link that @TimmyBGood gave will give an idea of what work openreach has already done .  In most installations on flats and multiple dwelling unit the landlord themselves normally would have give permission for openreach to do internal work to bring the fibre up to your door

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
TomRobbo12
Topic Author

I'm unsure as this is my first time setting up a Wi-Fi. But the landlord is adamant for no drilling so I'm not really sure where to go from here. Should I wait and ask the engineer tomorrow or cancel now?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@TomRobbo12 

If you are not going to give us the info to help you then the decision is yours.  But you will be charged if you cancel at short notice so just let openreach attend

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

TomRobbo12
Topic Author

@TomRobbo12 

Its classified as a single dwelling unit as opposed to flats which would normally be multiple dwelling units. 

The fibre optic is an overhead feed with l2c which means that its not possible to attach a ladder to the accommodation and they'll have to bring in a cherry picker or hoist to install the fibre. You may find out that openreach turn up , scratch their heads and go away to organise a cherry picker team which may delay procedings anway . So use their visit to discuss the landlords requirements

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TomRobbo12 

'OH feed' would imply fastening the drop cable to the outside of the building, wall-mounting an external CSP box and then drilling to bring the cable inside, plus wall-mounting an internal ONT.

Note that if you go ahead with the order there's a possibility that Openreach would carry out the external work when you aren't present.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion