Discussion topic: What broadband package am I really on?

This message was authored by Joshi This message was authored by: Joshi

What broadband package am I really on?

Hi

I am on the Sky Broadband Essential Plus package but what one is that really?  I am currently getting on average a pathetic 1.5mbps download.  Sky seems to think I am getting 6mbps.

Openreach Superfast Fibre Broadband is 2-6mbps and Openreach Standard Broadband is up to 24mbps.  When I signed up for Sky, it suggested the Essentials Plus package as the most suitable but it seems like they have put me on the slowest.  Is there any way of finding out which one the Essential Plus is using?

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: What broadband package am I really on?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Joshi wrote:

Openreach Superfast Fibre Broadband is 2-6mbps and Openreach Standard Broadband is up to 24mbps.  

ADSL ('Essential') broadband is up to 24Mbs

FTTC ('Superfast') broadband is up to 80Mbs: there's also an up to 40Mbs version.

G.fast ('Ultrafast') broadband is up to 150Mbs: there's also an up to 300Mbs version which Sky has never offered.

FTTP ('Ultrafast') broadband can be 100, 150, 500 and 900Mbs

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Joshi 

If it's in the UK, putting the address into the BT Wholesale Availability Checker should indicate which broadband types are available.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

It's the table and the two text lines below it which are most useful.

Remove any personal information (such as the address itself) if you post an image.

@Joshi 

And if you post your Hub stats, we'll have some information about your current broadband technology.

Joshi
Topic Author

That is correct.  I went on to the official Openreach website, put in my post code and these are the results that came up.  These are post code specific results.  Whilst I am here for help, please be a bit more polite and less abrupt in your response and don't just copy/paste generic information.

Joshi
Topic Author

I cannot edit my messages for some reasons.  My first response was aimed @TimmyBGood 

I just need to know what openreach package the essentials is using.  I cannot see how providing hub information would be useful in this?

@Joshi 

The Hub stats prove whether the broadband is ADSL or FTTC, and also confirm the speed actually being received at the Hub: the figures in the BT Wholesale table are estimates.

@Joshi 

It's possible, though very unusual, to have an address where a better speed is achievable from ADSL than FTTC despite the latter being more recent technology with much higher maximum capability.

@Joshi 

And there's a potential confusion because the legacy product called 'Broadband Essential Plus' is ADSL, but the current 'Broadband Essentials' is FTTC (but limited to 35Mbs as it's a 40:10 wholesale product)

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Joshi wrote:

I cannot edit my messages for some reasons.  My first response was aimed @TimmyBGood 

I just need to know what openreach package the essentials is using.  I cannot see how providing hub information would be useful in this?

Because without such information your fellow customers (those who are replying to your post taking  and the time to help) don't have access to any of your account details, so that info requested is the only way we can see what speeds you get.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Joshi
Topic Author

You only had to ask. I am on ADSL.  I'm not happy about posting router details on an open forum.

If you do not know the answer to the question I asked then please just say so.  It is a question which requires no diagnostics of individual equipment.

I would have contacted Sky directly but I have never known such an evasive company where you can only contact them by phone, which I do not own.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Joshi wrote:

You only had to ask. I am on ADSL.  I'm not happy about posting router details on an open forum.

Those stats show no user/customer identifiable info at all, there is no issue posting them in a public forum.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

@Joshi 

There's only one version of ADSL these days, so you'll on that (ADSL2+ 'up to' 24Mbs). What the connection actually provides is largely a factor of distance from the telephone exchange.

care4444 (1).png

ADSL won't ever have been marketed as 'Superfast' because that term is reserved for FTTC and better, even though actual speed at a particular address could conceivably be lower than ADSL.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion