Discussion topic: WI-FI 6 router for Sky Fibre

This message was authored by STJ2803 This message was authored by: STJ2803

WI-FI 6 router for Sky Fibre

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a Wi-Fi 6 router for my Sky Fibre package. Does anyone know what the best ones are please? Also are there any that the phone still works with or will that not work?

Thanks,

Simon

All Replies

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

Re: WI-FI 6 router for Sky Fibre

Is it gfast, if so then the Asus rt-ax82u https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-Routers/ASUS-Gaming-Routers/RT-AX82U/

If you have sky talk then that will no longer work..

STJ2803
Topic Author
This message was authored by STJ2803 This message was authored by: STJ2803

Thanks I appreciate the reply. Any idea if it's easy to setup? 

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

You should just be able to use the detection wizard within the Asus settings for your gfast. I'm just using mine as an access point, as I'm on fttc, but it's easy enough to setup.

You can use a Asus router app on your phone to configure it...

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@STJ2803 

@cuke from a previous post they are on gigafast fttp not g.fast which makes it easier

First ethernet any of the asus below to the sky hub and sequentially update the asus firmware until it doesn't update anymore

Remove sky hub from the ont and plug in the asus 

Locate the client identifier (option 61) field and type in

anything@skydsl|anything

Compatible asus routers

Asus rt ax56u

Asus rt ax58u

Asus rt ax68u

Asus rt ax86u

Asus rt ax88u

Asus zenwifi xt8

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@STJ2803 

Note if you replace the Sky hub with a 3rd party one you wont be able to use Sky landline. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Grant56 This message was authored by: Grant56

Hi,

Does this only affect Internet calls? I am still paying line rental, so I don't have VoIP calling.

Been reading so much recently and finally ordered an AX58U.

I'm still confused, but hoping for the best.

I guess, the unanswered questions I have are,

Am I still going to be able to make and recieve phone calls on my landlines?

Will I still be able to use my Sky Q box mini?

Apologies if this has been covered here and I've misunderstood, or elsewhere.

I appreciate any information you guys can give.

Ok,

So I have proven myself even more uneducated than previously thought.

I have checked and have FTTC connection, am I still going to be able to connect the ASUS Ax58U via ethernet cable to my sky hub, and then disable the wireless on the Sky Hub or have I ordered the wrong WiFi 6 router for my needs?

Really sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Grant56 There are 2 options you could use  Double Network Translation with the Sky hub and the Asus acting as routers. This can work for most devices and Apps but can cause issues if you need an external device to  initiate contact with a device by using port forwarding and a few other things like any features like parental control the Asus might offer. Sky hubs do not offer a "modem mode" which passes the public IP address to the Asus. 

The other option is to set the Sus unit to operate in Access Point mode (see here ) if it has one. Here the routing services are done by the Sky hub leaving just the wifi  duties to the Asus - I run my own system in a similar way and  use 3 TP-Link Deco mesh units configured as Access Points to provide wifi. 

In both options turn off the Sky wifi manually. A word of warning if you have Sky's Q  mini tv boxes using wifi this gets a bit more complex.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Thanks for the reply @Chrisee.

You've settled my nerves on of its going to work.

I have one sky q mini box in my bedroom, which is linked to my main sky q box via WiFi. Is there a chance this will not work using option 2?

Again, thanks for the reply 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Grant56 your Q mini can only work over wifi if connected to a Sky5GHz connection  if thehub is not transmitting that signal the mini has to connect directly to your main Q box which connects to the new Asus wifi only using the 2.4GHz band. That SSID uses ch36 to 52 (80 M`Hz bandwidth)so if your Asus uses the same channels you get interference. I think the Asus can be set to a higher channel range which hopefully avoids that problem.

If not (or one of your devices cant use the higher channels) then you can reset the Q box to use a 40MHz bandwidth of ch36 to 44 or 44 to 52. The setting is in the engineers menu you access by navigating to Settings but pressing 0,0,1 before select. Dont fiddle with any other settings when in there. 

Told you it was a pain😀

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Cheers @Chrisee.

I think I'll install and then tackle each issue (fingers crossed there aren't to many) one at a time.

Fundamentally all I want is to leverage the advantages of WiFi 6 and possible add in a few Mesh units as and when I need them. I don't use parental controls, as we do this at a device level on their phones/tablets.

As long as I can connect my Sky Q mini,  Ring doorbell and outside WiFi camera onto my network then I'll be happy 🙂

Thanks

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion