Discussion topic: Unusable broadband

This message was authored by SharpiesGOW This message was authored by: SharpiesGOW

Unusable broadband

We had our Sky broadband activated on 14 May and I knew that there might be fluctuations in speed whilst it optimised. However we were only getting an access speed of 3 to a max of 5 mb/s the whole time. And speed test to an actual device was 1mbs - completely unusable.

When we reached day 10, it allowed me to book the Openreach engineer. He came yesterday and changed the socket and said that it was now registering 60mbs, but that would be a little up and down again over 10 days whilst Sky retest and reoptimise. 

However, it isn't any different. It isn't running at 60mbs, it's still only accessing at under 4mbs. To illustrate the problem, a simple download of a 45 mins programme when I watch the previous episode is only at 10% after an hour of downloading ie its taking 60mins to download 4mins of a programme! 

Please can someone give some advice as this is really disappointing. I've got a slight crossover with our old supplier (Virgin) so have left the main PC and games console for my son wired to that connection but that contract closes on 7th June and I don't think the Sky connection is going to be working.

Screenshot_20220531-044111_My Sky.jpg

All Replies

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

Re: Unusable broadband

• Give Sky Support a call.
  • To obtain the general-purpose number click on "Need more help" at the bottom of this page
    https://www.sky.com/help/home.
    If you are in the ROI set the flag at the bottom of the page accordingly.
    If you have Sky Talk or Sky Mobile dial 150 for a free call to Sky.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SharpiesGOW Could you please post your router stats following the link below.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#M101...

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
SharpiesGOW
Topic Author
This message was authored by SharpiesGOW This message was authored by: SharpiesGOW

Thanks both. @Highlinder here are the router details

Screenshot_20220531-082630_Chrome.jpg

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SharpiesGOWCan see from the router stats something is still very wrong with the connection, with a downstream noise margin of 26.0, the normal is 6.0. This does really need to be looked again.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
SharpiesGOW
Topic Author

Thanks both. I've just spoken to Sky and they are sending out one of their engineers on Sunday to try and work out what is going on. 

Will post what happened 😊

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion