Discussion topic: Underground cables

This message was authored by JohnT2 This message was authored by: JohnT2

Underground cables

I have a underground cable fault resulting in slow wifi.

40 Gbps at the master socket 20 Gbps at the router, at devices the speed is slower.
This is a known fault going back 7 years and Sky are unable to get BT to fix it.
On the 14th of this month a Sky engineer came checked everything, confirmed my system was all correct but there was ‘noise’ on the line. He initiated an Open Reach Engineer visit which happened on the 15th.
The OpenReach guy was here 5 hours, confirmed it was a line fault underground and that he would try two different wires he went up the pole and changed the wires there then changed the wires to our master socket. When this failed, he apologised for not being able to sort out my problem and suggested I request a new Home Hub.
I did this straight immediately and it arrived on 16th this did not change anything.
I now have a further problem in that I now have a ‘dumb’ charger since the wifi is so slow I can’t schedule a time for charging my EV on the PodPoint therefore having to pay full rate.
We do have a Sky booster which is also reading the same speed as the hub.
Any advice?

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Underground cables

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JohnT2 

Can you post your hub stats

https://community.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
JohnT2
Topic Author

No need have already had Sky home experts round, know several of the several of the sky tech team none can help.

Just wondered if any other uses have undergone similar trauma.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@JohnT2If there is a problem with a cable and Openreach need to dig the road or pavement up, they will have to get the permission of the council and also get the team in to do the work. This looks like where the time is taking to get the fault fixed.

They can't just rock up and start digging up the road or pavement without permission.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
JohnT2
Topic Author

This has been going on for 7 years think the've had enough time to arrange all permissions etc.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@JohnT2 Openreach will only do major repairs like replacing underground cables if it is ecomomic to do so. Where a fault affects a single or small number of end users and a service is running, all be it slower than theoretically possible, it is likely your issue does not meet that criteria. ISPs like Sky cannot force Openreach to take action especially now they are beginning to transition to full fibre and. Plan to de-commssion the copper network.

It is frustrating for customers like yourself until full fibre becomes available as your speeds are well over the 10Mb/s Universal Service Obligation Ofcom impose on Openreach.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
JohnT2
Topic Author

Also know and understand. There are 13 ways none 'spare' on our pole, all used (even though inferred two should be spare for priority customers) 9 on the next and all the way back to Open reach connection  plate cover on the foorpath. It affects all of these folks not just me.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Hi @JohnT2 

A slow connection should not stop a simple EV charger from connecting  and scheduling charging as it uses barely any bandwidth. Are you sure its just not a WiFi range issue?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion