Discussion topic: Ultrafast Upgrade

Benny-Charlie
Topic Author
This message was authored by Benny-Charlie This message was authored by: Benny-Charlie

Re: Ultrafast Upgrade

@jamesn123 is there an actual speed test in the app? I can only find something that says everything is connected and working ok. I've been using the BT wholesale speed test.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Benny-Charlie 

When you run the line test it tells you what speed the router is connected at. This is the speed you should be able to achieve over ethernet. WiFi may vary

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Benny-Charlie
Topic Author
This message was authored by Benny-Charlie This message was authored by: Benny-Charlie

@TimmyBGood yes, we have the white ONT box inside. We had Fibre put in by BT/Openreach 3 years ago. We live in the sticks and spent 5 months with no broadband as they switched off our copper before running the fibre to our house, needing new poles and all kinds. I was paying for the lower speed full fibre price but decided to go up to the next speed which is supposed to be minimum download speed of 100 Mbps 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Benny-Charlie wrote:

I was paying for the lower speed full fibre price but decided to go up to the next speed which is supposed to be minimum download speed of 100 Mbps 

OK, so was it a BT FTTP product then, or Sky 'Superfast' but delivered over FTTP (which should be the full 80Mbs).  I'm somewhat confused, because Sky started their FTTP rollout with a 150Mbs service.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Benny-Charlie
Topic Author

@jamesn123 it says 145 Mb/s. I understand about testing with an ethernet cable but I just do one through WiFi to get an idea of the speed because surely that's more relevant to me when I only connect through WiFi normally. Anyway, it's gone down apart from last night when it speeded right up!!

@Benny-Charlie 

Thats where you are going wrong. Using WiFi to get an idea is just not viable because the speed can go up and down depending on connected devices, bandwidth usage, local WiFi conditions, interference etc. If you bought the upgraded package just to improve your WiFi only speeds then I'm afraid you probably going to be sorely disappointed unless you purchase a 3rd party router

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Benny-Charlie
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood I was with BT for 18 months after they put the fibre in then changed to Sky who I have been with for 18 months now paying £27 for the slowest of a choice of three speeds (guaranteed 60 Mbps). My contract was ending now so I rang them and they offered me a deal with the next speed up (guaranteed 100 Mbps) which is Ultrafast.

Benny-Charlie
Topic Author

@jamesn123 I do have a mesh system and got 90Mbps through WiFi last night!!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Benny-Charlie 

OK, so it's a subscription product change from Superfast to Ultrafast over existing FTTP.  That's going to be relatively less common, so it's certainly possible that a Sky system has glitched somewhere and it's not actually happened.  Unfortunately being FTTP even if you had access to the Hub stats that wouldn't help confirm anything.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@Benny-Charlie 

Would need some ethernet tests to see whether your upgrade has actually gone through

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion