Discussion topic: Third party ASUS router suggestions that work with Sky Ultrafast FTTP?

This message was authored by tangoed This message was authored by: tangoed

Re: Third party ASUS router suggestions that work with Sky Ultrafast FTTP?

Yes. Asus router working well. Since added an additional Asus mesh and get close to 500 meg in every room. 

Sky fibre at 500 Meg - ASUS router.
This message was authored by aberdeen19032012 This message was authored by: aberdeen19032012

Thank you @tangoed out of interest at start of process did you select the login with password bit at initial set up or manually configure. 

This message was authored by aberdeen19032012 This message was authored by: aberdeen19032012

Hiya can I ask @tangoed what was the model of the additionak asus mesh and did you need anything additional with it ?

@jamesn123 can I ask you or anyone who reads this do I need to have merlin on my ax86u for option 61 to appear or can I use the stock software. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@aberdeen19032012 

You can use the stock firmware. You may need to update the firmware first though before the DHCP Option 61 field appears

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Hello. I connected to the router with an Ethernet cable and updated the firmware via my MacBook then switched out the Sky router for Asus and the login / configurations were there. The firmware upgrade may have been two updates to bring it up to the latest version. 
hardest part was learning the navigation menu in Asus .

This message was authored by youvebeentangoed This message was authored by: youvebeentangoed

Hi folks. Just signed up as this thread is helping with a current predicament.
I have just had ultrafast plus installed today, but sky hadnt sent the sr203 router out to me, I had the old ER115 Q hub and the engineer said it's not compatible. Obviously gutted.

He's left me connected to old copper sky broadband but the new fiber socket is sat there waiting for sky to send out the new router which will work when I connect it. I had been toying with the idea of a third party router and one of these ASUS routers sound like it would be perfect. Would I be able to do the updates and configure the new Asus router without having the SR203 router, ie could I do this via Ethernet to to the old sky ER115 router, or will I have to wait for thr sr203 router as settings need to be pulled from it? Confused!
Thanks 

This message was authored by DanDoc This message was authored by: DanDoc

@cookiemonsteruk I know you've answered loads of these threads but I wondered if you could help me. We upgraded to sky gigafast fttp. WiFi speed in a lot of the house is great 400mps when good. The problem is in my sons room the strength and stability is lousy. We're in a 1930s semi with thick walls and he's furthest from the router. His brother (who is directly above the router) gets great speeds. Major issues for gaming teenagers.

I've tried a poeerline solution (Netgear 1200) it's okay but not great. House has v old electrics.

I'm thinking of going for the Asus xt8 as a pair but I here there not great for gaming due to latency in the node. 

If I go for an  rt-ax88u by fear is we still get dead spots due to the house layout? 

Either way I'm assuming I can plug straight into the ONT and go but anyone got any advice on which to opt for??

Cheers all,

Frustrated Dad of gamers !!

@aberdeen190320 

I picked up a pair of Asus Zen WiFi AX units.

One unit on the first floor and the oher in the garage connected via Ethernet.

As a group they seem to work rarher well.

The whole house has reasoanle wi-fi usually over 400meg in most area.

Also quite like the Asus app on the iPhone - easy to manage and seems very comprehensive.

asus zen.jpg

This message was authored by Mini+Mo This message was authored by: Mini+Mo

@tangoedAsus XT8  rather stylish for box, been looking at getting a pair, I do like the Asus Router app,

makes setup look easy.

Have you found any negatives points using them?

@Mini+Mo

Hello. Issues. - Learning curve on the setup and configuration. The app has many options. Some had to Google to understand. Stil not clear on some. _ differenrt from Netgear / Cisco.

Our big question was to link the 2.4G and 5G as one SSID or use two names. The issues is we have a dozen or so smart plugs / lighs / lawnmower / car charger than need the 2.4G connection. Some of these lost connection and was a pain to disable the 5G so that they were forced to connect to the 2.4G link. 

I did have the Asus do a reset every night and i think that this may have casued the loss of connection. 

Now stoped the auto reset and seems better.

The mesh seems to funtion fine. I have one connected via Ethernet in the garage block and my offcie is above it and get 450 Meg. Without the mesh and connecting to the main wi fi was only 5meg. Now one big happy family.

@tangoed when you say the mesh is connected via ethernet..

You're running an ethernet cable from the main router to the node in your garage? Hardwiring the two together? What sort of distance is that ( and does it matter). I was hoping to.pinl the two.units wirelessly..

@DanDoc 

I tried wireless connection but was to slow. The garage / office is only 10M from the main house. But the wi fi signal was grim. We have a triple glazed gallas doors and I think that they just eat up the wi-fi singal. 

So ran a cable from the main router to the garage. Runs through the house, outside in a trench and the into the garage then up the wall to the office above the garage.

Maybe 40M of cable router to router. Delivers 500Meg to a PC on the end. Now connected to the Asus mesh and delivers good wi-fi to all the units in the office and garage. 

@DanDoc 

One more point. You can run Ethernet cable for 100Meter with no problems. Best way to link two point  together if wi-fi wont cut it.

Enjoy

@cookiemonsteruk @jamesn123  Can you guys help me. 

Ive read several of these forums and took the plunge and bought an Asus RT Ax88u to replace the sky router at home FTTP. I also wired in an ax56u as an aimesh node upstairs. Awesome great speeds from both wired and WiFi across the home. Used the option 61 description above. 

My problem is sky .. the sky Q box connects but drops connections and the mini boxes are just a pain in the backside. They won't reconnect. 

I get it working occasionally only for one to drop. Am I missing something obvious....

Aaargh.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion