Discussion topic: Third Party Router with FTTC and soon to be FTTP

This message was authored by sedalbis This message was authored by: sedalbis

Third Party Router with FTTC and soon to be FTTP

I'm currently on Sky FTTC, but FTTP has recently become available in our area and I have upgraded with Sky to Gigafast. Openreach are coming on Friday to install the ONT.

In preparation of moving to FTTP, I've bought an ASUS RT-AX68U Pro router to use instead of the Sky hub, which was delivered today. 

Following guidance from the the many helpful posts on this forum, I connected the ASUS to my laptop and input all the relevant settings so that it'll be ready to go on Friday when the FTTP goes live.

Once I'd done this, just out of interest and curiosity, I connected the WAN port on the ASUS to an ethernet port on my Sky Hub, and amazingly it all started working, with a successful internet connection. I tried connecting my phone to the ASUS SSID and it worked perfectly, with much better WiFi coverage throughout the house than what the Sky Hub gives.

I didn't realise this setup was even possible, and I've not changed any settings whatsoever on the Sky Hub.

Am I safe/ok to be running the Sky Hub + ASUS combination like this until Friday, and then when the FTTP goes live I can just plug the ASUS into the ONT and remove the Sky Hub from the setup entirely? 

Thanks in advance 🙂

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Third Party Router with FTTC and soon to be FTTP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@sedalbis 

When you switch to fttp thats when you use the anything@skydsl|anything in the client identifier (option 61) field

At the moment the best thing is turn wifi off on the sky hub and change the operating mode to access point to avoid double nat

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion