Discussion topic: Temporally trun off 5Ghz to connect a Smart device with SD card?

This message was authored by Chrissirhc This message was authored by: Chrissirhc

Temporally trun off 5Ghz to connect a Smart device with SD card?

Recently purchased a Smart ENER-J security camera which requires a SD card to store images/videos. To format the SD card the customer service for ENER-J have said that I will need to turn off my 5ghz on the wireless channel, as we have a dual band, so that the SD card can format using 2.4Ghz. Once the SD card has been formatted then we can switch 5Ghz back on. I have contacted Sky customer service to find out how and they have advised against doing this as it could cause problems with our Q-box. Although this seems to be the only way to format the SD card? Please help?! 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Temporally trun off 5Ghz to connect a Smart device with SD card?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chrissirhc 

An SD card is a form of flash storage and requires formatting via a compatible device that does the processing. At no point in this process is an internet connection required let alone different bands of a WiFi connection.

If the camera company is talking about connecting the actual camera via WiFi then this is a completely different scenario. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Chrissirhc
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chrissirhc This message was authored by: Chrissirhc

This was the advice offered from someone from customer service at ENER-J ' Please make sure that your phone is connected to 2.4Ghz only, If you have a dual band hub which has 2.4Ghz and 5ghz both then please switch off 5Ghz for the time being while you are pairing the camera with the hub. Please make sure that you restart your hub after switching off 5Ghz.'

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chrissirhc 

Right that makes more sense. Not sure what the whole bit about the SD card was before?

To split your WiFi bands you can follow the guide here

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion