Discussion topic: Telephone and WiFi outages on full fibre after upgrade with old router

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Telephone and WiFi outages on full fibre after upgrade with old router

Since upgrading to full fibre broadband I have experienced 15 outages on my phone line and WiFi I'm still using the old black router I had with lower speeds on the older copper line. This was replaced with like for like router but still outages occurred after 3 engineer visits and over 25 reports and spending 1 hour yesterday evening on my mobile due to my home line being off due to the failure . This intermittent issue has not been rectified or identified. Having asked for this router to replaced with a upgraded router this has been denied . Unless I pay an even higher price to upgrade again three months after upgrading to full fibre. It is my understanding having been an electronic engineer for 40 years that the router I have been using on the old copper system at lower speeds is not capable to cope with the faster speeds of the full fibre network . I am paying for a service for which I am not getting a satisfactory service due to the intermittent outages and router lockout . Therefore I see the contract I have entered with Sky for this upgrade on full fibre and not receiving  the service I am paying for . I therefore think that Sky is in Breach of their contract with myself for not delivering the service I am paying for.  I am being left to sort this out by myself and expected to pay more for a further upgraded router which at this moment in time I will not know if it will stop these regular outages . Being a long outstanding customer for 15 years or more I try think Sky should offer me some reimbursement and a answer to why this fault is happening. I would like to now if any other customers are experiencing similar circumstances on full fibre network with an older router system . 

Best Answers
This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1 Answer

Re: Telephone and WiFi outages on full fibre after upgrade with old router

@Anonymous Hopefully you managed to see the other post, as we have not seen your logs but you do seem to be in a very similar issue, i am copying the same to you.

Please read the post that is below to the final part, try the solution and hopefully fingers crossed it works.

DHCP lease expired from server - Internet connecti... | Sky Community

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Anonymous The SR203 Sky Broadband Hub, is capable of full fibre speeds on Ethernet connected devices,

Not so fast on WiFi connected, but can achieve around 500Mb/s due to the WiFi 5 standard used by the hub. If you post your router stat's we can have a look at them, also when you are having issues, which led's are showing the fault condition would be helpfull. You can find on the pinned post example to getting your router stat's.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717

Topic Author

The issue is the voice led on right of the router shows a amber led all the other leds for power WiFi ect remain green . With the voice led amber there is no dialing tone. There is no understanding to why this is happening . I can either reboot the router or remove the Ethernet cable from the centre port on the openreach fibre connection box that brings it back on but after three engineer visits and a identical router replaced there is no explanation to why this is happening. I've look at the status logs but can't see anything on it to reflect the intermittent line drop and WiFi outage . I am at my wits end with this as things work with the other router on the old copper cable but as soon as the system was upgraded to fibre connection on outreach it started this intermittent outage and I have to keep resetting it all the time. There is no explanation to why this is happening and if three engineer visits and two engineers can't understand why it is happening then where can I go with this as it is literally a inconvenience it should not be happening and after the older router was replaced for like for like the fault carried on . 
I can't keep having to reset or disconnect the Ethernet and reconnect it to get the phone line back up and working. 

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Anonymous Take a look at this earlier post i have been working on for sometime now.

And will keep you informed with any resolution.

Broadband keeps dropping out. | Sky Community

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1 Answer

@Anonymous Hopefully you managed to see the other post, as we have not seen your logs but you do seem to be in a very similar issue, i am copying the same to you.

Please read the post that is below to the final part, try the solution and hopefully fingers crossed it works.

DHCP lease expired from server - Internet connecti... | Sky Community

Topic Author

I have recently today spoken with sky . And having learnt by following your on line instructions how to monitor my router stats information. 
I intend to download this when I the fault reappears as it's a intermittent issue can then screen shot it to back up and forward it onto sky technicians but at the moment I have my service working again . Than you for your insight on the matter and instructions for looking at router logs . I've relished these logs are lost if the router is rebooted. So it must be held in a a stack memory system that is volatile if rebooted or powered down . Therefore loosing the information. 
many thanks for your input on the situation and I'm monitoring daily . Than you 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion