Discussion topic: Switching to Sky Broadband in-between house move while with Hyperoptic

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Switching to Sky Broadband in-between house move while with Hyperoptic

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chrispiann wrote:

Why can smaller companies with less influence like Hyperoptic, CityFibre and G Network are able to offer 1gb up and down for half the price, but they can't or won't?

See my point above.  Hyperoptic has been around for a whole decade and is therefore ancient in challenger terms, but they've got a while to go to beat the Openreach heritage of 175 years of wrangling wires.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Chrispiann
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chrispiann This message was authored by: Chrispiann

So Openreach won't offer full speeds because it's not under threat yet? I suppose it's only under threat in the big cities where Hyperoptioc and the likes operate.

I've tried looking to other providers than Sky but I supposed it doesn't really matter who I go for because they're all using the same line. Although I have seen some other companies offer a little more upload speed, around 200mb/s, so I thought there might be a way to negotiate a better speed with Sky but from this discussion it's not seeing likely.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chrispiann wrote:

Although I have seen some other companies offer a little more upload speed, around 200mb/s, so I thought there might be a way to negotiate a better speed with Sky but from this discussion it's not seeing likely.

Not on consumer broadband over domestic Openreach infrastructure, as far as I'm aware, and no, Sky absolutely won't (and can't) provide a bespoke offering: they are just reselling a wholesale mass-market domestic FTTP product.

@Chrispiann wrote:

So Openreach won't offer full speeds because it's not under threat yet? I suppose it's only under threat in the big cities where Hyperoptioc and the likes operate.

Yes, Openreach have a cosy near-monopoly going back to BT privatisation in the mid-1980s (and before then the GPO).

@Chrispiann wrote:

Although I have seen some other companies offer a little more upload speed, around 200mb/s

Cerberus will do so, for example, but that's a business offering at £160 pcm.

@Chrispiann wrote:

The house is still being built so the address doesnt exist yet

Probably also worth noting that this has the possibility of borking the whole process, as typically the only way to place an order for broadband of any kind (or indeed most other services) is through the address existing on a postcode lookup database, and many companies are only signed up for a periodic data refresh from Royal Mail.

Chrispiann
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chrispiann This message was authored by: Chrispiann

@TimmyBGood 

Absolute shambles! Can't believe how much I've taken Hyperoptic for granted!
I suppose it comes back around to who has a more appealing offer from the broadband providers.

Sky's website is not loading their deals page for me right now so I can't check properly, but from what I managed to see they don't even offer a TV+Broadband package on their fastest 900mb speed. So I suppose it comes down to what the £55/month gets you compared to other providers. 

How long have you been with Sky, how is the customer service and overall experience?

@Chrispiann wrote:

I suppose it comes back around to who has a more appealing offer from the broadband providers.

Domestic broadband over Openreach is all pretty much the same: it's really down to pricing vs added-value (like the BT failover to cellular).  Personally I don't have any choice as BT is the only full-fibre provider in our town.

@Chrispiann wrote:

How long have you been with Sky, how is the customer service and overall experience?

Around 20 years for television (Sky+ / Sky Q / Sky Glass) but it's not really fair for me to comment on customer service because being an 'Oracle' means I don't have the same relationship with them: we don't talk to the regular contact centres for fault resolution, for example.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion