Discussion topic: SR203 Router Maximum reserved IP addresses

This message was authored by Craggus2000 This message was authored by: Craggus2000

SR203 Router Maximum reserved IP addresses

Hi,

I have Sky Fibre Broadband, and the SR203 broadband router provided by Sky.

I have lots of IoT devices/home automation devices, and like to reserve IP addresses for them.

I recently tried to add a new device, and was presented with the message "Maximum Address reservation limit reached. Delete unwanted entries if possible". I currently have 50 devices in my reservation list.

To be clear this is NOT related to DHCP leases, as I have my lease range set to 80.

New devices are still able to get addresses, I just can't reserve any more than 50.

Does anyone know if this is a known limitation, a bug, or a setting that can be increased, either by me or Sky, please?

Many thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: SR203 Router Maximum reserved IP addresses

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Craggus2000 wrote:

Does anyone know if this is a known limitation, a bug, or a setting that can be increased, either by me or Sky, please?

Quite possibly a limit, although presumably very few users would ever encounter it.  Almost certainly not something that either you can or Sky will change, though (except perhaps in some theoretical future firmware release).

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Craggus2000
Topic Author
This message was authored by Craggus2000 This message was authored by: Craggus2000

Not sure I understand the logic if it is an imposed limit?

One would think that with today's technology there would be a call for many more than 50 as a max...

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Craggus2000 wrote:

One would think that with today's technology there would be a call for many more than 50 as a max...

Most home users will have a grand total of zero fixed IPs assigned by MAC address: they neither know or need to care about such things, and (unwittingly) let DHCP sort everything out 'by magic' (which is kind of the point of it, really).

@Craggus2000 wrote:

As a general observation, ISP hardware tends to be built to a very frugal budget and consequently has various arbitrary limits.  We've seen other posts which suggests Sky Hubs choke at 64 devices in total.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@Craggus2000 wrote:

All the 3rd party router I've come across have a limit of 64 IP reservations. I guess the IP reservation table would  take up more storage that the dynamic IP lease table do so manufacturers impose a limit.

Personally I only used IP reservations for streaming devices that access my media server so I can customise the transcoding rules based on the devices capabilies and devices that I will access their internal web servers. I don't see the point of using fixed IP addresses for any other devices because if there are issues there are plenty of apps available so you can find the IP address of those devices.

@Craggus2000 as a SR203 owner myself I certianly would be unhappy with using it as a router for over 50 wifi devices even if most of them are IOT devices  Like most free routers ISPs provide these are built to a price and have their limitations. It serves as a simple router on my set up but is heavily locked down. 

You could turn off its DHCP server and run that service on another network device but you still will hit limits on the router's power.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion